UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Cyrus

English to Latin Translation

There's always somebody better, but then you're in college andI'm only still in high school. Lol, I've got many years to catch up.

That's no excuse. When I was your age, I was speaking 44 languages and 78 dialects. And paper hadn't even been invented yet. We were still carving on boulders.

That's no excuse. When I was your age, I was speaking 44 languages and 78 dialects. And paper hadn't even been invented yet. We were still carving on boulders.

I know several people that can speak many languages, the odd thing is some of them have nothing really important to say in any of them...

regards

viggen

Can some one translate this for me

Hodie viis Romanorum ad terras Europae ambulamus.

Nostras (our) terras pugnis non occupabunt!

Carris et equis ex provinciis cibum portabamus.

Romani deis honores (guess! acc. pl.) templis, sacrificiis et statuis donabant.

Pugnis in arena gladiatores (guess! it is a plural nominative!) vitas servant aut amittunt (lose).

The queen will entrust the temple to the gods by means of sacrifices.

:)

Can some one translate this to english for me

please and thank you

Hodie viis Romanorum ad terras Europae ambulamus.

Viis? "Today we walk ??? of the Romans to the lands of Europe."

Nostras (our) terras pugnis non occupabunt!

"They will not occupy our lands with fights."

Carris et equis ex provinciis cibum portabamus.

"We were carrying food from the provinces with carts and horses."

Romani deis honores (guess! acc. pl.) templis, sacrificiis et statuis donabant.

"The Romans were giving honor to the gods of the temple with sacrifices and statues.

Pugnis in arena gladiatores (guess! it is a plural nominative!) vitas servant aut amittunt (lose).

In fights in the arena, gladiators (either) save (their) lives or lose (them).

Regina templum deis sacrificiis concredibunt.

Regina templum deis sacrificiis concredibunt.

Uh concredet since its just the queen and the verb is 3rd conjugation ? Unless its the gods are doing this action.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Guest erleburns

I am trying to translate "We have the stars" into Latin. Can anyone help please?! Thank you very much.

Cogito, ergo sum!

Edited by erleburns

OVS can you help with de-constructing Roman place names?

trying to deconstuct to its vernacular origins--eg: Vindolanda, I understand this name is said to mean "white lands" -with such a translation we have clues to how the Romans percieved the area. My immediate questions were regarding the names-Medobogdium, Alavana and Olinacum. Glannaventa I believe means "supply base /port"?

Please correct if woefully wrong

trying to deconstuct to its vernacular origins--eg: Vindolanda, I understand this name is said to mean "white lands" -with such a translation we have clues to how the Romans percieved the area. My immediate questions were regarding the names-Medobogdium, Alavana and Olinacum. Glannaventa I believe means "supply base /port"?

I'm not particularly good at this, but I can ask my Latin teacher for you(He happens to have a Ph.D. and another I know too has a Ph.D. too.) So he's very qualified to answer your questions.

I'm not particularly good at this, but I can ask my Latin teacher for you(He happens to have a Ph.D. and another I know too has a Ph.D. too.) So he's very qualified to answer your questions.

Thats kind of you-I know a lot of vernacular English place names , but it would be useful to step back to an earlier time .Olinacum interests me as presently the hamlet is called Elslack-the drivation is clearly visible-yet it sounds typically Lancs/Yorks border.