UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Cyrus

English to Latin Translation

Guest drpruit

hey guys, I'm hoping someone can help me with a translation for a tattoo. Finding a reliable source online can be difficult, if someone were able to help, it'd be greatly appreciated. The phrase is "Under Saturn's shadow", as in "I am under Saturn's shadow", or "Under the shadow of Saturn", as pertaining to misfortune or bad tidings/luck. As close a direct translation to "Under Saturn's shadow" as possible would help me a great deal. Thanks again, for any help you might be able to give, you guys are awesome.

D.

So name all the cities or locations you want to ask about and I'll ask my teacher what he knows about it. For example, Pompeii is supposed from the Greek word penta(for five) to mean that may be five tribes or five social classes. So he knows things.

would you be so kind as to ask about these-alavana (is this beautiful or sacred/notable) as a pre name ie:Alavna Carvettorium? Vircovicium. Vindolanda (white land?) .Medobogdium. Glannaventa (is supply port really correct?) Olinacum . Galava. Maia and Blatobulgium.

I would be most grateful for any help.

hey guys, I'm hoping someone can help me with a translation for a tattoo. Finding a reliable source online can be difficult, if someone were able to help, it'd be greatly appreciated. The phrase is "Under Saturn's shadow", as in "I am under Saturn's shadow", or "Under the shadow of Saturn", as pertaining to misfortune or bad tidings/luck. As close a direct translation to "Under Saturn's shadow" as possible would help me a great deal. Thanks again, for any help you might be able to give, you guys are awesome.

D.

It's a good one. I make it

Sub Umbra Saturni

So name all the cities or locations you want to ask about and I'll ask my teacher what he knows about it. For example, Pompeii is supposed from the Greek word penta(for five) to mean that may be five tribes or five social classes. So he knows things.

would you be so kind as to ask about these-alavana (is this beautiful or sacred/notable) as a pre name ie:Alavna Carvettorium? Vircovicium. Vindolanda (white land?) .Medobogdium. Glannaventa (is supply port really correct?) Olinacum . Galava. Maia and Blatobulgium.

I would be most grateful for any help.

Sure thing, I'll ask my teacher that.

Sub Saturni Umbras has a really nice ring to it - I don't particularly like the ub-umb sound that Andrew's suggestion, though grammatically correct, would make. Then again, it's a matter of preference. Latin is extremely malleable, unlike English

Guest drpruit

thankyou, Andrew and Scerio, I'm torn between both suggestions, so there's my new dilemma, but it makes my day that someone could help with that. It's rediculous how long I've been trying to find that seemingly simple translation. You'd laugh, totally. No foolin'. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it. :)

While not reading everything in this massive thread, I believe it has run its course and served its purpose. :-)

Locked.