UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Cyrus

English to Latin Translation

I can write them in greek for you, I believe. Like mine would be, "κυρος"

I'd just have to greek out your name and then post them.

ok, i have an interesting one,

my favourite catch when fishing is "Esox Lucius" it is the scientific name for the Northern Pike, but what does it mean?

cheers

viggen

"Esox Lucius"

Esox, the old Latin name for pike, used as early as Pliny; perhaps derived from the Greek isox, or both the Latin and Greek from a common Celtic root (as in the Welsh ehawc, eog, "salmon")

lucius, from the supposed Latin name for the species, likely derived from the Greek lukos, "wolf", an obvious reference to the predatory habits of this fish.

Ironically, the latin for pike is also lucius, so it might be confusing.

Here is how it goes:

1) the first word usually is the name of the genus( means species with common attributes, features, and characteristics to clear up how they get the name)

2) second word is the name of the species is conjugated in the latin adjective form( word used usually refers to or means an attribute of a creature or where it may be from.This can also apply to the genus)

Exellent FLavius Valerius Constantinus

cheers

viggen

If anyone can help me I need this translated into latin: "When the wicked stand confounded, call me with they saints surrounded" if possible make the first sentence and second sentence different sentences in the translation. And if there are different possible translation please post them seperately. I know this is a lot but thanks if you can help me.

Thanks

Cadet Brightman

1) Ubi malus consternatus stant, me cum sancti cincti vocat.(My translation, there are many different words for wicked,surrounded,and saints.)

Confutatis maledictis, Voca me cum benedictis.( this is from the official latin text, notice how many words are missing. I really don't like the choice of words they chose too. The Church really is bad at this but its an endless ritual chant so they don't have time to say everything. Also notice there aren't any verbs int it.WEIRD)

I was wondering if you esteemed learned translators would extend this site to do translations of people's names to latin? I'm sure we'd all get a laugh to see our names as how they would have been back in ancient Rome :huh:

Well, my ancestors were mostly Germanic-speaking backwoods peasants. Their last name actually means "bear" in German, which was then Anglocized when they came to America. From there "Ursus" is an easy translation, which is what I use for my own handle.

You can use STETERUNT which is the in the perfect tense which translates into STOOD instead of STAND.

There are other words for stand, but this is what the real Romans would use to imply that they are standing. I prefer steterunt over stant because it grammatically sounds better in you have stood confounded rather than stand confounded.

Guest realbadger

I have been searching for anything online that does English To Latin translating, for mottos, et al. Apart from a few businesses (that charge), there does not seem to be anything online (that I can find) along the lines of say, babelfish.altavista (which does not offer as a translation option, Latin).

The motto I seek to have translated into Latin is:

This is why we have a Badger.

I know that badger is taxidea taxus (along with several others [such as mustelidae, melinae, meles meles, etc.], but I like taxidea taxus the best), but I cannot find how to traslate the rest of the motto, which my friends created as my moniker is Badger and it refers (in this case, ironically) to my resourcefulness.

Thanks!

< Badger >

realbadger@earthlink.net