UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Kosmo asked:

If it's ok to criticize the crusades it's not ok to call the aztec religion a disgusting bloodbath. The aztec religion it's seen just from an anthropological and historical view while christianity it's the subject of violent moral criticism from Voltaire to today, even events in her long past.

I think the difference is that, like the ancient Egyptian religeon (Amun, Aten, osiris etc); and Greek paganism; the mezo-American religeons have been consigned to history. They are not now main-straem faiths with many followers.

Christianity is, and the Crusades continue to have relevance and connotations when modern politicians invoke that word in their rhetoric, as was done a few yers ago. That is why the standards are different. In Islamic terms, I think the term "jihad" (much misunderstood though it may be) when used can cause concern.

Religeons cannot separate themselves from their past and their history however hard they try (and Christianity has made huge efforts to try not to be Judaic) but resonances and echoes of that past continue to be heard today.

Phil

You are right, but a more deeper understanding that the Catholic church it's as seriously changed as the world around her it will mean a great and easy step toward today's problems.

well the way i see it now is that with history is that through out the ages there have been predominant religions and they have all been big in their area(such as the aztecs and mayans, and the romans and greeks for example) all have been the influental religions of their time and my feeling is that at the moment christianity and related(and not so related) religions are in their hayday at the moment not saying of course that any will fall down the drain persay but each religion has had it's time and came and went and i see us like every other period in time will face a new religion(s) or something along that nature but i could be wrong but could it actually happen do you think? what r ur guys's opinion on it

well the way i see it now is that with history is that through out the ages there have been predominant religions and they have all been big in their area(such as the aztecs and mayans, and the romans and greeks for example) all have been the influental religions of their time and my feeling is that at the moment christianity and related(and not so related) religions are in their hayday at the moment not saying of course that any will fall down the drain persay but each religion has had it's time and came and went and i see us like every other period in time will face a new religion(s) or something along that nature but i could be wrong but could it actually happen do you think? what r ur guys's opinion on it

Left to their own devices, over the broad stretch of history, some religions eventually lose their luster to the masses, while new cults spring up and become popular (mainstream Protestantism is fading away in America, while Mormonism and Pentacostal cults are growing rapidly). Other religions don't really die so much as evolve into something almost completely new (modern Hinduism is a different animal than its Vedic ancestor - and Christianity itself is rather different than its Jewish roots).

However, things are not always left to their own devices. A lot of Iron Age religions might be around today in some form if Christianity and Islam had not made a point to do away with them. Judaism might bear more resemblance to its ancient form if the Romans had not destroyed the temple. Etc.

To add to my previous statement, there are no signs of the Catholic Church's ultimate decline, certain infamous scandals notwithstanding. Outside of Western Europe, the birth rates and conversion rates are still significant. The only thing that might change is the weight of Catholicism might shift from Europe to the Third World - Latin America and certain parts of Africa. The mostly Catholic Latin immigrants (whether legal or otherwise) will also have a significant impact on the religious landscape of the United States.

so in alot of ways some religions have been altered or have changed in some way shape or form, not to mention new religions based off of a main religion has happened like for example :

while new cults spring up and become popular (mainstream Protestantism is fading away in America, while Mormonism and Pentacostal cults are growing rapidly). Other religions don't really die so much as evolve into something almost completely new (modern Hinduism is a different animal than its Vedic ancestor - and Christianity itself is rather different than its Jewish roots).
thanx ursus for pointing that out:) that and of course the statements afterwords have helped on this subject:)