UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Sack Of Corinth

Pimpinus

The rich part of this anecdote is that Keaveney, in his bio of Sulla, actually has the gall to argue that Sulla was sincerely pious in his advice to Caphis and that the anecdote shows how religious Sulla truly was. "Oh the horrors to which religion leads men!"

Why is it so galling for you ?

Not really galling for me. I meant that Keaveney was being quite charitable in his interpretation of Sulla's motives.

Hey everybody....I'm really confused right now, i cant find anything specific on the sack of corinth. Does anyone know the intricate details of this event?

Sacked the same year as Carthage, part of Roman decision to get brutal with their foreign policy and, in the case of Corinth, the culmination of Roman wrath in dealing with the Greeks and their back-biting politicking. Corinth was the leading player in supporting a revolt against Roman hegemony and when the Romans sent envoys to try and talk things over, they were hissed, booed, and had garbage thrown on them on their way through the streets.

I think the sacking was preceded by a battle outside the city walls just before. The envoys were sent to the Achean League with instructions that Corinth and a few other cities be removed as members if I remember correctly. But you're right, what with fighting the Macedonians the Romans were tired of the on-again/off-again acquiescence of the Greek cities.

Clue to Rome's enemies; Never throw garbage on their envoys, the Romans tend to take this kind of thing personally.