UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Pantagathus

What To Bring With You?

May I take my friend with me? :) no? well, I would like to take my brushes and paints (a lot). I think it could be my business in that time.

May I take my friend with me? :) no? well, I would like to take my brushes and paints (a lot). I think it could be my business in that time.

That is an interesting and noble choice Lacertus.

Conversely, what would you miss the most? Me, cigarettes.

Indeed, you would find any native-grass instead of tobacco! :D

Scythian weed? -_-

I mean other, lol. I read some times ago that people from Asia Minor used incense of some herbs for the same aims. They burned them in the room and inhaled the smoke of herbs and at the same time result was similar to smoke tobacco.

Guest thealphafemale

I would bring some trousers, hiking boots, and a t-shirt (considering I dont sleep in anything) Damn, my three items are all used up...

Right my PhD supervisor (his latin is so much better than mine)

Digestion pills

antibiotics

if I can't take my PhD supervisor then a modern saddle (I'd make a fortune!)

1. My sedan that runs on wine.

2. My Roman books to find out who is telling lies. (Beware, M.P. Cato :) )

3. Enough pills to keep me alive until age 100 and not one day longer.

I'd like to take my barbarian Bride with me. Can we make it four?

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Guest Allah

Since I sleep in the clothes I wore that day, I'm fine there. Since I wear military fatigues, I'd compliment that with my first item, my boots. After much thought, I concluded that a survival knife (which counts as one item, despite it having a very small survival kit inside complimented by a comically small world map) would be a good second, and for a third I may or may not have to take my *black powder rifle, accompanied by a reasonable amount of shot and powder.

As for me when I got there, I'd scout out the area for a bit. I'd find out where I was, who was near and if I could potentially hunt for food and camp out. Basically, I'd hang out and learn the language slowly, probably try to find somone with enough compassion to take me into their home. From there, I'd use the pistol for hunting and hopefully try to enjoy my time in the ancient world!

*made an edit, as black powder isn't terribly difficult to make, and the shot can be made with the small mold that comes with! HA! HA! ENDLESS AMMUNITION! OWNED!

Edited by Allah

Hmmm:

1. Of course I' already wearing my clothes on right? So I'll bring A LOT water first

2. A HUGE supply of nutritious food

3. A Camera for taking pictures

4. A book on Roman Language

5. A rifle with a lot of ammo for fighting off those pesky barbarians

Edited by Ovidius

If I'm coming back:

1. Good bottle of young wine hermetically sealed in an airtight container. I'll bury this in a spot that I know I can get to when I go back to present time and I'll have 2000 year old wine to drink or sell to the highest bidder.

2. Digital cammera

3. Boomstick with 8 shells

If I'm there to stay

1. Solar power generator.

2. Laptop containing technical schematics for anything and everything from military to domestic use. I'll use this to advance technology by leaps and bounds.

3. Map of natural resources so I can have them mined for gold/tin/whatever.

Okay so I dont have the solar generator hanging around my house...yet.

Edited by Kanoth

Three items? Well you give me money so I can skip the obvious clothing (usually wear shorts an a t-shirt if in winter). Hmmm:

Two book off my shelf and a blue case as I kiss my wife and son bye.

1) Oldest copy I have of the "Joy of Cooking" (it has complete instructions from skinning onward.)

2) "Practical Engineering"- just have to introduce some math concepts.

3) The blue case of first aid, travel medication and pain killers.

Yeah, that's it.

My glasses.

My spare glasses.

An English/Latin dictionary.

But let's face it, whatever you take you're likely going to end up on the slave block. Except for the gun freaks, if you're very lucky and establish some way to communicate, you might just survive. Otherwise they'll come for you in the dark and if you've killed someone it'll be the cross (or similar gruesome way to go) and if you've just fired for effect, you'll be with the rest of us on the slave block.

Th only folk with a chance are those with a working knowledge of Latin or ancient Greek as they were spoke.