UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

Site Outages, Poor Performance, Etc.

On the 26th (overnight in the Americas and morning to afternoon in Europe) many of you may have noticed that UNRV was down for somewhere in the area of about 8 hours. It seems that our host decided that our domain had expired, even though we paid it through automatic renewal, and had received an email receipt confirming that the charge had gone through. To make a long story short, it apparantly took several hours for the tech people and the billing people to put thier heads together and correct the error.

Sorry to everyone for any inconvenience.

Additionally, there have been several shorter periods of down time over the past few weeks/months that we think is directly attributable to performance issues. Our forum upgrade some time back, including the gallery feature, has been cutting into our bandwidth and server storage limits which certainly isn't helping. (And this may be the source of some complaints we've received regarding some forum quirks). Repeated attempts to discuss upgrading our hosting package (higher power server, larger storage and bandwidth, etc.) have been frustrating, since nobody can seem to tell us what we need to know about the moving process, management options, etc.

At any rate, we are looking into alternatives and hope to have something resolved soon. Our ultimate goal is a dedicated server with managed hosting so if anyone has had experiences in this department (regarding various hosting companies), we'd appreciate your input.

Thanks for your patience!

I noticed that - i thought it was my brand new computer playing up already :rolleyes:

Because of our recent renewal we are 'locked' into our current situation for 45 days, but suffice to say we will be making a change after that point. (which should be unnoticed by everybody, except for increased performance and reliability of the site).

Site was down again. I know I don't need to point this out. If you need a hand finding a decent hosting service let me know.

dont get me started about our host, just that much it was much more serious then just being down...

in any case no use fuming about this, we are in the process of moving however we are bound by US law to wait 60 days after renewal so we just have to hang in there for a few more months...

cheers

viggen

We are being tortured by our host for some reason. Not only did they screw up our site hosting renewal from a week ago (as explained in my first post) but they also decided that our domain hosting money also wasn't good enough.

Despite a long day dealing with people who either dont care about the problems they've cause or are too incompetent to fix the problem, it seems that we should be heading towards the end of the tunnel shortly. There may be a few more hours of intermittent outages but I think we should be in the clear very soon.

I apologize for any inconvenience. I'd also like to thank those several members who somehow hunted down my msn email to find out what was going on. How did you guys find it anyway? I didn't even think it was listed anywhere on the site?

[edit] oops I meany hotmail email not msn.

We are being tortured by our host for some reason. Not only did they screw up our site hosting renewal from a week ago (as explained in my first post) but they also decided that our domain hosting money also wasn't good enough.

Despite a long day dealing with people who either dont care about the problems they've cause or are too incompetent to fix the problem, it seems that we should be heading towards the end of the tunnel shortly. There may be a few more hours of intermittent outages but I think we should be in the clear very soon.

I apologize for any inconvenience. I'd also like to thank those several members who somehow hunted down my msn email to find out what was going on. How did you guys find it anyway? I didn't even think it was listed anywhere on the site?

[edit] oops I meany hotmail email not msn.

I went to Roma Victor in hopes that there might be some info on the outage and found a post by you and your email (I've rarely visited that site).

Just glad to see you all back-however I was able to get on with my book review notes .Its quite unnerving to find "domain may have expired" posted! :) Good luck with getting a new host.

How did you guys find it anyway? I didn't even think it was listed anywhere on the site?

Since UNRV is one of Google's beloved, I searched on your user name and your profile came up on the first page! I then looked at the cached version of your profile and it was in there. :)

I get site withdrawal trauma each time we have outage. :shocking: