UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

Site Outages, Poor Performance, Etc.

I have a feeling its my machine, maybe a virus. Also recently when I punch in a search in google for something it will jump to say ebay or amazon for a list of products under that heading.

Any virus hunter programs you folks can reccomend? :)

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

There havent been any issues with the server,the site was always available, must be on your site...

cheers

viggen

I have a feeling its my machine, maybe a virus. Also recently when I punch in a search in google for something it will jump to say ebay or amazon for a list of products under that heading.

Any virus hunter programs you folks can reccomend? :)

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

There havent been any issues with the server,the site was always available, must be on your site...

cheers

viggen

Thanks Vigs. I have two computers here at home, and my secondary one here apparently can contact UNRV, which means my primary must have a virus. What happens is when I click on the UNRV link, it takes forever to load up, then goes to some *or* or shopping mock web page even though www.unrv.com is still listed as the address. Really annoying. To think that people sit around their homes and waste long hours thinking of ways of screwing over people's computers. :)

You actually have a trojan rather than a virus. Subtle difference. When you're done with spybot... it won't hurt to run adaware too.

Adaware

And if all else fails, you can try Hijack This! but you should really have a pretty good idea of how to manipulate your system registry before playing around. Hopefully spybot and/or adaware will do the trick.

I had that happen to me when I clicked on an alleged members web site at roman-empire.net. It was a *or* site with a Trojan and it took me forever to get rid of it. The webmaster there has been driven to the point of considering closing the site down. I no longer click on any one's web site unless I have come to know them. No posts - no click. Most of them are trying to sell something anyway.

P.P., what's the difference between a 'Trojan' and a virus?

Edited by Gaius Octavius

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2004/virus.asp

One thing you may want to do is run all your anti-whatever software while Windows is in safe-mode. Hitting the F8 key right before windows starts to load will allow you to do so.

I have Windows ME. Would you please explain above a little more?

At the end of the initial hardware post screen but before Windows starts to load, start tapping the F8 key. A Windows startup menu should appear, giving you the option to start in safe-mode.

Basically, safe-mode is running only what Windows needs in order to function for troubleshooting purposes. The graphics will look horrible, and you won't be able to use any peripheral devices. This also usually allows your scan software to run without interference from adware, spyware, viruses, etc.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try all these things tonight and see what happens. A selective prohibition to getting to UNRV...it's some cruel and unusual joke!

But also testimony to the greatness of UNRV; must be my most clicked on link. :)

Nothing to report. I particularly remember being online when Decimus pmd-he was having quite a bad time-but my connection was stable and all areas were available,.

Trojans, viruses, spyware -- it's all greek to me. Get a Mac, and you'll be rid of them. I haven't suffered from a single virus or anything like that since installing Mac OS X, plus I can still run Rome Total Realism on the XP partition whenever I feel like walking on the wild side.