UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Fecal Matter Is On It's Way To The Fan...

Pantagathus

Religion was not a major problem until the turn of the millienuem from 1bc-1ad... but evne then did not come into a HUGE issue until Christianity spread. The reasons for this, IMO, is because when you have polythesist relgions it is much easier to accept a different cultures Gods, because they are usually the same, just with different names and it is not too hard to incorporate new gods, but when you have Monothesist releigions with only one god, and one faith, etc. then they see thier ideals and beleifs as the only TRUE one and the others as false or heretics etc. This is what leads to the problems...

Quite true ND... Quite true

I was about to post the same thought.

I overlooked this thread, having had private pms about "was the adoption of christianity as a state "cult"' the defining destabiliser of the Empire (in the West). It struck me reading about Julian the Apostate that ,not only was he an able soldier and administrator but nowadays would probably be feted as "tolerant".

I was a huge fan of Julian the Apostate until I read on URNV that he wasn't a traditional pagan at all--he simply imitated everything about the Church but substituted Jove for Jesus. Not the recipe for toleration if you ask me.

Back to the point of the thread--I'm as indifferent to religious disputes as the next fellow, but I don't believe that the enemies of Israel are motivated simply by a religious disagreement. Many want to annihilate the Jewish people--not just in Israel--but everywhere. At one time, Baghdad was home to an enormous community of Jews, but they were completely eradicated over time. All over the Mideast it's the same; even in Paris, attacks on Jews are growing. Hamas is a violently racist political party, and it's support partly comes from rejection of Fatah corruption, but its success also comes from an anti-Semitism* that is again spreading all over the world.

(* Yes, I know that Arabs are technically semitic people too. You know what I mean!)

I was a huge fan of Julian the Apostate until I read on URNV that he wasn't a traditional pagan at all--he simply imitated everything about the Church but substituted Jove for Jesus. Not the recipe for toleration if you ask me.

Back to the point of the thread--I'm as indifferent to religious disputes as the next fellow, but I don't believe that the enemies of Israel are motivated simply by a religious disagreement. Many want to annihilate the Jewish people--not just in Israel--but everywhere. At one time, Baghdad was home to an enormous community of Jews, but they were completely eradicated over time. All over the Mideast it's the same; even in Paris, attacks on Jews are growing. Hamas is a violently racist political party, and it's support partly comes from rejection of Fatah corruption, but its success also comes from an anti-Semitism* that is again spreading all over the world.

(* Yes, I know that Arabs are technically semitic people too. You know what I mean!)

Hamas may be big, but that doesn't mean that the Fatah isn't either. I can only see a civil war in which Fatah has US backing.

The whole Arab world hates Israel, whatever so, they can't even beat the Israeli's in military engagement due to the fact Israel is supplied with American technology, plus, Israel has nuclear capability.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Now what I wanna know is this simply question:

Why the hell is it the JEWS that always get killed... They were stuck in the middle of the crusades, Hitler and the Nazi party hated um, palestine hates um... Whats so bad about the Jews? If anything, go after the punks and criminals, not to mention people who die their hair green (sorry, that just angers me immensly)

I don't think the conflict between Israel and Palestine can be reduced to anti semitism on the Palestinian side, and defence on the Israeli side. Factions withing the Israeli parliament are just as violently racist as Hamas.

I don't think the conflict between Israel and Palestine can be reduced to anti semitism on the Palestinian side, and defence on the Israeli side. Factions withing the Israeli parliament are just as violently racist as Hamas.

There are racist elements in Israel, but I don't think the two sides--Hamas and the Knesset--are morally equivalent.

@Sextus Roscius

There was a documentary on this subject about a year ago, where Historians came up with an answer to that question.

Europeans as far back as the Greeks, considered Jews, strange. Due to their religion. The Romans didnt grant them Citizenship until the 3rd centuary AD. The jews recieved further bad reputation in europe during the Arab and Moore (muslim invasion) of europe (spain-portugal-south of france-siciliy-greece etc.). The jews were (and that is historicaly proven) the Financiers of the Arabs. So the European christians saw the jews as the cause for the wars. Further more the Church in europe spread the word that the jews killed jesus. Of course, the Romans carried out the execution, but the bible tells us and the church preeched that the jews persecuted and judged upon him. All this, plus the so called jewish phenomena,(which is described by Anna Lierson in various books).The phenomena, is that when a city in europe turned prosperous, that the jewish community had risen and when the city declined, than also the jewish community declined. Anna Lierson describes a city in modern day Lithuania (or latvia not so sure) in the 12th C Ad. that prospered because of the baltic trade. At its hight, the jewich community was 4 times as much as before, and when it declined and eventually ran poor, the jewish community was 0. Leaving the original population behind in poverty. All these things is what gave jews in europe, the image of a negative. And all escalated in WWII. Back in those days segregation was immense. If you belonged to a minority, than there was no chance of assimilation to the majority.

Hamas may be big, but that doesn't mean that the Fatah isn't either. I can only see a civil war in which Fatah has US backing.

I doubt that with every ounce of my being... For one, I don't think Fatah really cares that much. They stepped to the side before all the votes were in.

Well they were expecting to win, so why not be alittle lax. But now, say that to the guys in fatigue with guns threatening to kill anyone who joins Hamas.