UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lacertus

Feodosia

Today's name of the city returned us to beginning of Common Era. Feodosia is one of the Northern Black Sea costal region cities that kept its antique name. This antique town was founded on a deserted coast by Greeks from Asia Minor Milet in 6-th BC. Its history began from the moment when Greek vessels had moored to sandy coast of a cosy bay. Seafarers solved probably also that such fine place could be only the gift of Gods. The bay was occupied by nomadic population (probably they were Sarmatians). They couldn

Because this really is a quite interesting (though rarely discussed) chapter of ancient history and Lacertus has given a wonderful synopsis, please let me assist buy clarifying some names & places mentioned as known in anglicized English:

Theodosia was a flourishing colony of the Milesians (Miletus in greek Asia Minor) on the "Tauric" or "Scythian Cheronesus". It was/is situated on the south eastern portion of the peninsula in what used to be Sarmatia and what is now Crimea; the large peninsula that primarily separates the Black Sea from the Sea of Azov.

Incidentally, at the time of the Milesian

This is a good addition!

I have got a great article about Tauri (on Russian). It's not my work of course but I can to translate it. I'm not sure about my rights for it though.

This is a good addition!

I have got a great article about Tauri (on Russian). It's not my work of course but I can to translate it. I'm not sure about my rights for it though.

I think you would be safe if you cited the original author. Does it go into detail about the human sacrifice to their Virgin Goddess? About how a shipwrecked Greek was doomed if they were found by the Tauri? :)

Oh, and thank you Lacertus, I just didn't want your post to sink on the page without anyone taking notice!

Edited by Pantagathus

Wasn't the Crimea a source of wheat for the Romans and Italians? Wasn't the city also a Roman outpost?

Wasn't the Crimea a source of wheat for the Romans and Italians? Wasn't the city also a Roman outpost?

wasnt Feodosia a client state to Rome?

Most likely, yes, Crimea was one of the Roman's source of wheat. They bought wheat (and wine too). Officially Crimea (and Feodosia) never formed a part of Roman Empire but there was an agreement between some Crimea city states and Rome to defend Roman borders against numerous nomads.

Nevertheless, these states were under the Roman power and couldn't be independance in spite of the fact that this region never had the status of Roman province.

I added some pictures in my gallery, not Feodosia but Panticapey, it's other city state in Crimea.

Edited by Lacertus