UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Would You Bring Back?

Virgil61

All long as we're having some fun speculation what would you bring back after your journey to 1 AD? Remember the rule is it must fit in a backpack.

Off the top of my head as many lost histories as I could stuff into the pack. If i could find lost Polybius, Livy, Flavious Arrianus' history of the Parthians and the post-Alexander period. The Spartan Sosylus' lost 9 books on the history of Hannibal's invasion and Silenus version (they both accompanied him). Many other historians are mentioned by Polybius and other writers. whose works are gone--I'd gather what I could. If I could access and copy Roman state documents that would be a serious bonus.

Yes I'm aware the papyrii are fairly bulky, but I'd fold, crush and push as much as I could into that pack and let the researchers sort them out.

Oh, and a copy of JC's Anti-Cato just to drive UNRV's Cato nuts!

Oh, and a copy of JC's Anti-Cato just to drive UNRV's Cato nuts!

Haha. I wish you could bring it back--based on what Pliny, Juvenal, and Cicero said of the Anticatones, the two pamphlets were long-winded and vituperative. Just what I need to make my case that the dignity of Caesar was a sham. B)

This isn't a very Roman answer, but I'd bring back all the lost works of Aristotle I could--plus the Silphium plants (a great idea).

I know Pertinax would also agree on the Aristotle.

As for the Silphium, I mean can you imagine if you were in the only one in the world to all of a sudden have a Silphium nursery? :pimp: (sings and does a jig to: "We're in the Money")

Edited by Pantagathus

Pantagathus speaks the truth! Ill have a copy of MPCs Aristotle and a few small plantlets of Siliphium.

Also If Caesar could fit in my bag, I would bring him along just to show him what Cato has been writing about him in the UNRV forum.

He's a non-english speaker though. There's problem of communication, you'd have to get a priest as translator. Even then, Caesar would think he's communicating with a bunch of chimps!

Also If Caesar could fit in my bag, I would bring him along just to show him what Cato has been writing about him in the UNRV forum.

He's a non-english speaker though. There's problem of communication, you'd have to get a priest as translator. Even then, Caesar would think he's communicating with a bunch of chimps!

He would recognize his adopted name though and I think that would be enough for Caesar to pass his judgement. If I was Cato, I would start running. B)

I don't think he would recognize the anglicized form of Caesar (See Zer), when in Latin it would be closer to the German Kaiser. (Ky Zar)

As for what to bring back in my backpack...

A copy of Claudius' lost work on the Etruscans.

A copy of Cassius Dio's missing works.

A copy of the lost books of Livy.

A copy of the lost books of Tacitus' Annals.

The personal letters and imperial correspondence of Pontius Pilatus (assuming that at least some of it was saved in the first place)

I suppose I'd be lucky if even that much would fit in a single backpack, but that is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

actually I didnt make a choice-I just stole MPCs stuff-so :-

a phial of best quality liquamen (grade A garum) and the authentic recipe.

a set of Medicus instruments

the working notebooks of an experienced doctor working in Rome

(and id keep an eye out for Biguus Diccus and see if a speech therapist could help him) .