• Islam
    • Traditional Roman Religion
    • Other Polytheistic Religion
    • Atheism

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally i worship The Flying Spaghetti Monster and the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

I shot the Invisible Pink Unicorn and had her for barbecue.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster, however, I can dig, as he looks like Cthulhu.

I

It would be difficult for me to discuss the personal aspects of religion on a site where the majority don't share them, and perhaps find my sentiments silly or even demonic. When we discuss religion on this site outside of a purely historical framework it tends to go badly. With all due respect, then, I choose not to.

I had an interesting discussion yesterday. I told someone I was pagan (she is not very judgmental, even though she doesn't share my beliefs. She is, however, a little misinformed). She said "oh you're a tree worshiper? Druids, earth day and all that?" This made me smile, because, as wrong as it may be, I usually get "oh, you're a devil worshiper!"

Why do we work for the glory of god-- who does god show off to?

Us, apparently. The only sense I can make of it is that he's storing Glory Points for after the Apocalypse, when all his syncophants are gathered at his feet. While I'm not hostile to religion (as opposed to The Church), a lot of the various doctrines and teachings do nothing to dispel the interpretation of God as a supernatural psychopath.

However, having had another little think about all this, I have to take my hat off to the ancients who worshipped various sun 'gods'. Surely they had it right? The sun gave us life on this planet; the sun will eventually take it away again (if other things don't interfere beforehand). Blessed be the name of the sun. There's no arguing with its physical force in the development of life on this planet. We owe it everything.

Bingo

But it doesn't stop there because strip away the handsome and lovely gods & goddesses and most polytheistic principles of worship celebrate and revere the various natural forces which are of course very diverse and naturally at odds with each other from time to time.

A sort of spiritualist myself. Almost buddhist without all that buddhist ritual and stuff.

Am I right in thinking that Buddhism has no deity? Now, that sounds sensible to me.

No, I don't think it does, but then they give the Buddha the same sort of reverence so I doubt that distinction matters. For me, God (or gods/goddesses) are human concepts, not absolute truths. Someone, somewhere, made it up. Otherwise how could you know? Did the god in question really pop up in front of you and introduce himself with a view to recruiting you for his cause? I wonder how many people throughout history have spouted all kinds of nonsense for their personal ends? Or enjoyed too many suspicious substances? For me, belief is something you hold to be true. Religion is something someone else tells you to believe. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you believe, rather a matter of how you live and treat others.

To quote a certain hollywood legionary legate... "What we do in life, echoes in eternity". What a great line, and so true to life in reality.

Am I right in thinking that Buddhism has no deity? Now, that sounds sensible to me.

Well Theravada Buddhism believes Buddha (aka Siddhartha Gautama) was just a man and that there is no deity. This form of Buddhism is mainly found and practiced in Southeast Asia. Mahayana, Maharays, Whoosh you mama? Buddhism is usually found and practiced in East Asia which believes that when Siddhartha reached enlighenment he became a God and whomever becomes elightened is also a God.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Rameses the Great

I, however, am an Atheist. Although I generally say that I am Agnostic to escape the look most give when I say that I am the former... :)

There's really not a word for it, except may "infidel." I'm trying to school myself to reply "Unbeliever," when asked, since it's probably closer to the truth than either "Atheist" or "Agnostic." I don't insist that there is no God, but neither have I seen any evidence, actual or intellectual, that one exist. I think the main problem is that we are being asked to define ourselves by what we are not, while all the Believers are describing what they are.

I, however, am an Atheist. Although I generally say that I am Agnostic to escape the look most give when I say that I am the former... :unsure:

There's really not a word for it, except may "infidel." I'm trying to school myself to reply "Unbeliever," when asked, since it's probably closer to the truth than either "Atheist" or "Agnostic."

What about simply "Secular"?

I, however, am an Atheist. Although I generally say that I am Agnostic to escape the look most give when I say that I am the former... :unsure:

There's really not a word for it, except may "infidel." I'm trying to school myself to reply "Unbeliever," when asked, since it's probably closer to the truth than either "Atheist" or "Agnostic."

What about simply "Secular"?

"Secular" always worked for my parents. :unsure:

-- Nephele