55 members have voted

1. 1. What Religion do you practice

• Christianity
    • Judaism
    • Islam
    • Traditional Roman Religion
    • Other Polytheistic Religion
    • Atheism

Have to say that I'm still smiling over the subtitle of this topic: "A Simple Poll". :blink:

Any poll inviting the members of an Internet message board to declare their religious preferences -- or aversions -- is likely to get somewhat complicated.

-- Nephele

Roman Catholic...I like to argue with activist atheists who try to attack me with rhetorical questions "Prove it" when I tell them that they couldn't explain their own existence.

One hardly has to follow religion to explain ones own existence - but let's not even go there.

Atheist here. Re. the poll itself - hehe - can one actually 'practise' atheism?

- can one actually 'practise' atheism?

Until you get it right.

Maladict: I find the high count for 'Traditional Roman Religion' (5) versus the other polytheistic choice (2) a bit perplexing only because I would not classify my fellow Polytheists on the site (as I know them) as such. However, Ursus may be able to answer for himself a bit more eruditely.

For myself, I'm a bit provoked by your post because your tone is rather disparaging and dismissive; did you mean it to be?

It seems you think it perhaps 'silly' that a personage of modernity would/could find an affinity with these polytheistic ancient religions?

If people currently practice them (regardless of their mode of worship) are they really "long gone"?

For myself, I'm a bit provoked by your post because your tone is rather disparaging and dismissive; did you mean it to be?

It seems you think it perhaps 'silly' that a personage of modernity would/could find an affinity with these polytheistic ancient religions?

If people currently practice them (regardless of their mode of worship) are they really "long gone"?

My apologies if you were offended, it was unintentional. My post was typed in a hurry, and perhaps poorly worded. I will admit that the idea of resurrecting a dead religion mystifies me, but I would certainly not judge people who decide to do so.

I was genuinely wondering how serious people were when they selected that particular option.

I guess the same applies to the other choices: someone selecting Christian may be practising it, or merely belong to it by baptism and otherwise living a non-religious life, etcetera.

So, to rephrase, I wonder how many of those votes were made by people who were perhaps a bit carried away by their enthusiasm for all things Roman, and do not seriously consider themselves to practice traditional Roman religion, and how many are serious about it. If the latter, I'd love to know some details of their religious pratice.

edit: spelling

Edited by Maladict

No apologies needed Maladict, not offended in the least, that's why I said I was 'provoked' ;)

My personal affinity for Greco-Roman polytheism is much more of a spiritual thing than religious per se.

There is just something about having a give & take relationship with divinity that is so much more empowering to me as an individual than a unilateral relationship based on 'faith'.

From my point of view, monotheism strikes me as the more obsolete approach to relating with divinity in our modern age, but that's a hard thing for me to explain.

Regardless, I understand the core of your musings and am actually in agreement. I haven

It would be difficult for me to discuss the personal aspects of religion on a site where the majority don't share them, and perhaps find my sentiments silly or even demonic. When we discuss religion on this site outside of a purely historical framework it tends to go badly. With all due respect, then, I choose not to.

As for the high number of polytheists on the site, remember we have lurkers who have never participated in a discussion. Also, people from "New Age" religions, which are in fact fairly plentiful these days, sometimes allege their practices as ancient or traditional when in fact they are not.

A sort of spiritualist myself. Almost buddhist without all that buddhist ritual and stuff.

A sort of spiritualist myself. Almost buddhist without all that buddhist ritual and stuff.

Am I right in thinking that Buddhism has no deity? Now, that sounds sensible to me.

However, having had another little think about all this, I have to take my hat off to the ancients who worshipped various sun 'gods'. Surely they had it right? The sun gave us life on this planet; the sun will eventually take it away again (if other things don't interfere beforehand). Blessed be the name of the sun. There's no arguing with its physical force in the development of life on this planet. We owe it everything. Now, as romantic as it is to imagine a gorgeous golden-haired youth driving his chariot across the sky, healing us all and sending his little muses down to inspire us (and of all the Greco-Roman cults, Apollo's has always been the most attractive to me), I would prefer to say that 'worship' of the great burning mass of helium and hydrogen that sustains us all is not altogether misplaced.

And having read through the earlier posts on this thread, I have to agree with Primus regarding early man seeking to explain the universe around him. Man created god in his own image. That, at least, is my belief. And after all, we are the ones with the power of reason, so we seek to explain things. A tiger stalking through the jungle of India never stops to ask itself 'Why I am a tiger?'. Old Prometheus opened a real can of worms when he stole that fire! ;)

Edited by The Augusta

I've always considered myself somewhat of a hybrid between Christianity and science. Something like there was some entity that started it all once, but won't interfere with if I'm washing my hands at the right moment each day. It's kinda difficult to explain, I've tried in real life too and failed. Religion is a very complex subject to describe for me.

And having read through the earlier posts on this thread, I have to agree with Primus regarding early man seeking to explain the universe around him. Man created god in his own image.

Well lets not forget religion is God's relationship in relativity to man, it is theology that is the study of the nature of God himself.

B of E.

it is theology that is the study of the nature of God himself.

I'm not trying to be militant, but I'm genuinely curious.

How does one study the nature of something that refuses to make itself tangible? You can't observe god, or at least, sadly, I can't.

Why do we work for the glory of god-- who does god show off to?

it is theology that is the study of the nature of God himself.

I'm not trying to be militant, but I'm genuinely curious.

How does one study the nature of something that refuses to make itself tangible? You can't observe god, or at least, sadly, I can't.

Why do we work for the glory of god-- who does god show off to?

That of course depends on your religion. Different religion perscribe to different characteristics in their God or Gods. I think that would be getting a bit to personal and inevitably a bit too controversial.

B of E.

Northern Neil, do you mean