UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

English-Latin Translations, Part II

Ursus

Can you please tell me what is the english translation and meaning of viribus unitis

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6712&hl=

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea wanted to now what vincere means then how to say wolf and joker and just for fun how to say all three words in latin as a name, my dad use to call me vincere witch he says it mean to conquer also he said it where my name vincent came from, the other two words our for a speacil meanin wolf meaning beast and joker meain tickery

thank you in advance

yea wanted to now what vincere means then how to say wolf and joker and just for fun how to say all three words in latin as a name, my dad use to call me vincere witch he says it mean to conquer also he said it where my name vincent came from, the other two words our for a speacil meanin wolf meaning beast and joker meain tickery

thank you in advance

"Vincere" means "to win" ^^

"wolf" in Latin is LUPUS.

thank you in advance

"Vincere" means "to win" ^^

"wolf" in Latin is LUPUS.

To Ginevra's helpful suggestions, I'll just add one more, to fill your request, Vincere, for a Roman name that suggests "joker, trickery".

And that would be the cognomen: "Stellio". Literally, it means "a newt", but figuratively, it means "a crafty fellow".

-- Nephele

Anyone knows what is "the one who was born with hatred" in Latin?

I don't know any Latin word means "to be born" :blink:

And is 'odio' the ablative of 'odium'?

Thanks!!

Anyone knows what is "the one who was born with hatred" in Latin?

I don't know any Latin word means "to be born" :blink:

And is 'odio' the ablative of 'odium'?

Thanks!!

While I don't know of any specific Roman name meaning "the one who was born with hatred", I can suggest a likely creation, using the suffix "-genus". An example would be the name of L. Cornelius Scipio Asiagenus, with his agnomen meaning "born in Asia".

So, presumably, your cognomen/agonomen meaning "born with hatred" might be: Odiogenus (feminine form: Odiogena). A name with such a meaning of dishonor, though, doesn't sound a likely cognomen or agnomen that a Roman might adopt for himself, even given the seemingly pejorative nature of many of the existing Roman cognomina.

And, yes, "odio" is the ablative of "odium".

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele

While I don't know of any specific Roman name meaning "the one who was born with hatred", I can suggest a likely creation, using the suffix "-genus". An example would be the name of L. Cornelius Scipio Asiagenus, with his agnomen meaning "born in Asia".

So, presumably, your cognomen/agonomen meaning "born with hatred" might be: Odiogenus (feminine form: Odiogena). A name with such a meaning of dishonor, though, doesn't sound a likely cognomen or agnomen that a Roman might adopt for himself, even given the seemingly pejorative nature of many of the existing Roman cognomina.

And, yes, "odio" is the ablative of "odium".

-- Nephele

Thanks!! Really fun to make up names. Haha.

But is there any word means 'to be born'? I couldn't find any...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
can any please tell me the latin words for live free , die well

thanks in advance

I'm not well-versed in English->Latin translation, but I'll have a go:

vive libere obique recte

I assumed the sense of free was "freely," and that by "well" you meant "in a correct manner," rather than "in a pleasant way." Hope that's what you were going for.

How do I say "Hello, I'm the doctor!" in Latin? My best effort has been "Salve. Medicus sum." But I'm not sure that it might imply 'I'm a doctor' rather than the doctor.

How do I say "Hello, I'm the doctor!" in Latin? My best effort has been "Salve. Medicus sum." But I'm not sure that it might imply 'I'm a doctor' rather than the doctor.

You probably can't get closer than that without adding some words. Which words? Before we can answer that, you have to think, what do I mean by saying I'm "the" doctor? The only one in the room? The only one in the town? The one you were all expecting? The one you were told about yesterday? To translate from a language that uses definite and indefinite articles, to one that doesn't, you have to trace the thought back a little way.

You probably can't get closer than that without adding some words. Which words? Before we can answer that, you have to think, what do I mean by saying I'm "the" doctor? The only one in the room? The only one in the town? The one you were all expecting? The one you were told about yesterday? To translate from a language that uses definite and indefinite articles, to one that doesn't, you have to trace the thought back a little way.

Hi, A.D. I don't know in what context Tazlet here might be referring to "the doctor", but his question brought to my mind the old British sci-fi series titled Dr Who, in which the main character always referred to himself simply as "The Doctor" (presumably of the academic sort -- not medical sort).

With my interest in names, I'm naturally curious as to how a name/title with the definite article might translate into Latin. Could you enlighten me on that?

-- Nephele