UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

English-Latin Translations, Part II

Ursus

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only if he is defeated-as Caeser says to Antony!

Hey guys... just a couple of quick questions on translations from English to Latin if you would not mind...

1) "In the name of our ancestors, you will always be victorious."

2). "Through your blood we listen, but through your words we obey."

Thanks a lot guys...

Hey guys... just a couple of quick questions on translations from English to Latin if you would not mind...

Thanks a lot guys...

In nomine progenitorum nostrorum semper vincetis.

A sanguine audimus, sed a verba obsequimur.

Thanks a lot guys...

In nomine progenitorum nostrorum semper vincetis.

A sanguine audimus, sed a verba obsequimur.

1) If "nomine" is in the ablative, you don't need "In." Furthermore, "sub" is usually used as the preposition for "in the name of," as in "sub nomine" + gen. (this can also be translated as "by the authority of"), but it is not necessary. Use "proavus, i" for ancestors, I think that works better. Also, "nostrum" or "nostri" is the genitive plural of the personal pronoun "nos." I would use "nostri" as "nostrum" is generally only for use as the partitive.

Ergo:

Nomine proavorum nostri semper vincetis.

2) Once again, you do not need "A" necessarily, there is a sense in which this is ablative of means and therefore, no preposition is needed. Also, I am not sure if the phrase is refering to a singular "you" or a plural (that is why I teach my students to say "y'all") but I will go with the plural since it is more respectful and whoever "you" is they are being respected. Finally, I think using "parere" conveys the meaning a little better (remember that parere takes the dative!), so that said:

audimus sanguine vobis sed vobis verbis paremus

ain't that pretty?

I bow to your superior translation skills. However, isn't nostrorum the genitive plural of noster? However, thinking about it, I would prefer nostrum. Also, I don't like how proavus sounds, so I used progenitor. However, I failed to check to see how often it was used. Actually I still have failed to do so. And finally, true that in nomine is a bit redundant, but then again I've been doing Vulgate translations recently. In nomine patris, fli, et spritus sancti. :)

For the next translation, ofcourse, verba was a typo. Verbis has to be. Though I do have a question for you. For obsequor, do you need a dative to follow it? Obey...obey what? Just obey. No, I'm pretty sure you have to have a dative following it also.

Please excuse me - at 6:45 in the morning I've been awake for quite a while. And now at 10:30, I'm braindead.

noster, nostra, nostrum is the adjective and nos is the pronoun. I like to use the pronouns a little more than the adjectives. That said, "nostrorum" is by no means wrong and was very often used in later Latin (more so? I don't know). Obsequor is indeed used with the dative and means "to comply with" or "to give in to" and also is by no means wrong, but because of the "blood," I figured a more "parental" verb was appropriate.

noster, nostra, nostrum is the adjective and nos is the pronoun. I like to use the pronouns a little more than the adjectives. That said, "nostrorum" is by no means wrong and was very often used in later Latin (more so? I don't know). Obsequor is indeed used with the dative and means "to comply with" or "to give in to" and also is by no means wrong, but because of the "blood," I figured a more "parental" verb was appropriate.

Ah, good call and the latter. As for the former, it just hadn't crossed my mind to use the pronoun over the adjective...

And seriously Capitoline, we're not children here, though it may be necessary to go through the basics for the novice.

best,

Chris Weimer

qui Latinae quinque annos studuit

(er, studeo can take a dative, no? I see it can take several different ones...)

Edited by Q Valerius Scerio

I did not mean to offend. It is my nature to be overly thorough where explainations are concerned. Please forgive. It is difficult to get out of "teacher" mode sometimes. That said, studeo often does take the dative (when intransitive) especially when it means "study." nice work.

Hey guys, one last request, this friday is my 2 year anniversary with my GF/fiaiance and I want to surprise her with a passage in Latin since she is an avid Romaphile.

"To you my beautiful angel, I love you so much. You are the light of my life, and the delicate flower which blooms in the sun. I cannot bear to think of my life without you in it. Each and every day I know deep in my heart that our love is eternal and I look forward to our lives together on the day we are wed before all of our friends and family. I am to have you. I would do anything for you and always will I be your guardian, best friend and lover. I can't say how much I love you, and how lucky ."

If you guys can translate this I would be SO thankful and appreciative... I understand it's big and if it's too much I can also understand that it can't be done. Either way... I thank you in advance.

Angelae pulchrae meae, maxime amo. Vita mea te illumenatur flosque delicata ut sole florescerat es.

I made up a couple of words and she now "lights up your life" instead of "being the light," but that should be alright. Also, I did this pretty quickly so forgive any errors (and please correct any you see). More to come.

History is like an unraveling coil, as it gets longer, the beginning becomes less and less firm, leaving what was once a strong and solid fact as weakly bound loose ends flailing away from the rope of knowledge

• 1 month later...
Guest Lorna

Could someone please translate these sentances for me,

It is very important, and i would be very grateful if you could take the time to translate them into Latin.

"Forever family"

"our hearts are forever tied"

"let us be together forever"

Thank you

Angelae pulchrae meae, maxime amo. Vita mea te illumenatur flosque delicata ut sole florescerat es.

well, i think something's wrong...i think the correct translation is this:

ANGELAE PULCHRAE MEAE, MAXIME AMO. LUX VITAE MEAE ET DELICATA FLOS QUAE SOLE FLORIT ES.

and...

NON POSSUM VITAE MEA SINE TE CREDERE.

:(