UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Burial Or Cremation?

Princeps

Hopefully I've got about 60yrs left, but I'm not sure which I'd go for.

Cremation - I like the fact that it is linked with paganism, and was favoured by the Romans and Norse (and Celtic?), and I'd quite like to go out like Augustus, with an Eagle ascending from my Pyre and taking my soul up.

Burial - I like the theory that God will decend (or send his associates) on Judgement day and ressurect my body.

I'm leaning towards burial , though I don't have any real Religious convictions.

At this point, cremation. Its linked with the sect of Christianity that I was taught (though no longer beleive) and feels the right things to me now, whether I like it or not. Overall, my family can decide in the end.

I would prefer (which actually is scary, becuas eI found many family members wanted simliar burials) to be tied to a rock and trown to the oceans deep.

As an ex-servant of Neptunus Rex, I do not find that odd at all. I have seriously considered my right as a Navy veteran to have a burial at sea.

I wouldn't mind that much if I was given a naval burial, though seeing as I have yet to join in the service of my country, I can't claim the right to such a burial.

And is it just me, or do we have quite a few folks around here that were in a military?

(Chyhoedd da @ Feb 8 2006, 12:27 AM) *

I would prefer (which actually is scary, becuas eI found many family members wanted simliar burials) to be tied to a rock and trown to the oceans deep.

As an ex-servant of Neptunus Rex, I do not find that odd at all. I have seriously considered my right as a Navy veteran to have a burial at sea.

I also don't find it odd...nor do I think you should have to be in the navy to have one. You just have to be weighted down very well so that you don't wash up on a beach somewhere...because that would be icky...

Burial anyone. Obviously, my religion demands that I have a burial with Catholic rights performed by a priest.

im leaning towards burial aswell considering my entire family is catholic and stuff... except i dont like the thought of my body beaing eaten by bugsys lol

Edited by Honorius

I also don't find it odd...nor do I think you should have to be in the navy to have one. You just have to be weighted down very well so that you don't wash up on a beach somewhere...because that would be icky...

LW you are right, but if you want a nice ceremony on the deck of a Navy warship then you have to have served. :lol:

Well, since I won't be in attendance (you know what I mean) I could be ground up into pig feed for all I care.

But funerary rites are for the living loved ones, I happen to know that the missus will fry me. Good.

Huh? For some reason, it reminds of a tribe (perhaps African or Pacific area) that bury their dead, then waiting only days or weeks later and exhume the corpse, which then they cook/smoke and so the whole tribe feasted on the body. Way to give back to the community.

I'm pretty much open to whatever is most convenient for the family. Just throw me in the passing cart and be done with it...

MORTICIAN: Bring out your dead!

Bring out your dead!

[clang] Bring out your dead!

CUSTOMER: Here's one -- nine pence.

DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!

MORTICIAN: What?

CUSTOMER: Nothing -- here's your nine pence.

DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!

MORTICIAN: Here -- he says he's not dead!

CUSTOMER: Yes, he is.

DEAD PERSON: I'm not!

MORTICIAN: He isn't.

CUSTOMER: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.

DEAD PERSON: I'm getting better!

CUSTOMER: No, you're not -- you'll be stone dead in a moment.

MORTICIAN: Oh, I can't take him like that -- it's against regulations.

DEAD PERSON: I don't want to go in the cart!

CUSTOMER: Oh, don't be such a baby.

MORTICIAN: I can't take him...

DEAD PERSON: I feel fine!

CUSTOMER: Oh, do us a favor...

MORTICIAN: I can't.

CUSTOMER: Well, can you hang around a couple of minutes? He won't be long.

MORTICIAN: Naaah, I got to go on to Robinson's -- they've lost nine today.

CUSTOMER: Well, when is your next round?

MORTICIAN: Thursday.

DEAD PERSON: I think I'll go for a walk.

CUSTOMER: You're not fooling anyone y'know. Look, isn't there something you can do?

DEAD PERSON: I feel happy... I feel happy.

[whop]

CUSTOMER: Ah, thanks very much.

MORTICIAN: Not at all. See you on Thursday.

CUSTOMER: Right.