UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pronunciation - Words & Names

Caius Maxentius

Aren't you a native speaker of Italian?

yes i am. I dont like finnish, but i'm looking forward to learn norwegian. It isnt such a difficult language. After, i'd like to learn swedish...

I think that those of you who are out to learn Swedish are going to have to deal with 'Tones'. Good luck.

The so-called dialects are really languages in their own right. My grand aunt, who was Neapolitan, always spoke of people from other provinces as if they were foriegners. God had a bad day when and IF He created 'those' beings. I think that Neapolitan is more euphonius than Italian. "V", for example, can be (phonectically): Ven acca (come here); nu bene per terra (don't come from underground or Hell); dam oh ween (give me the wine).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't you a native speaker of Italian?

yes i am. I dont like finnish, but i'm looking forward to learn norwegian. It isnt such a difficult language. After, i'd like to learn swedish...

Someone I know(German) had a hard time learning Norwegian, despite being a native speaker of a Germanic language. I'd say it's a fairly difficult language ;) anyway, the fact of speaking a romance language won't be too much of a problem if you're really interested and motivated.

I think that those of you who are out to learn Swedish are going to have to deal with 'Tones'. Good luck.

The so-called dialects are really languages in their own right. My grand aunt, who was Neapolitan, always spoke of people from other provinces as if they were foriegners. God had a bad day when and IF He created 'those' beings. I think that Neapolitan is more euphonius than Italian. "V", for example, can be (phonectically): Ven acca (come here); nu bene per terra (don't come from underground or Hell); dam oh ween (give me the wine).

Swedish is not a tonal language, there are only a few words characterised by tonal peculiarities but they're easily recognisable from the context, unlike Chinese.

As to Neapolitan dialect, I admit I have serious difficulty understanding it, if I heard two people from Naples speak in strict "dialetto" I'd lose track of the conversation. Same happens with all the other dialects except for the ones of Toscana, Umbria, Marche and Abruzzo. Younger generations in Italy tend to speak more or less the same language anyway, with slight accent variations.

Troops from Lancashire (UK) stationed in Norway during the Second WW found that they could make themselves understood when speaking Lancashire dialect-and vice versa-they could tune into a lot of ,apparent, donated words.

i know it will be hard. But i'm really motivated and this is my dream. I think i shouldnt have problems with the grammar. Norwegian isnt more difficult than german. And about pronunciation, it's surely hard, but not impossible.

Naples' dialect it's weird!!! ;)

I can understand dialects of northern Italy. I can understand almost everything of Milan's one, but i'm not able to speak it.

I can't speak dialects, i only understand them...

i know it will be hard. But i'm really motivated and this is my dream. I think i shouldnt have problems with the grammar. Norwegian isnt more difficult than german. And about pronunciation, it's surely hard, but not impossible.

Naples' dialect it's weird!!! :P

I can understand dialects of northern Italy. I can understand almost everything of Milan's one, but i'm not able to speak it.

I can't speak dialects, i only understand them...

Genevra:

Bel 'e mom, i crede che tu si bel. Biondina, te piace assai. Si egge spialjad acca, Pertinax me fa jiete o sange.

Stata boun

j=y

Edited by Gaius Octavius

AAh molto di espressioni giocosii!

im rusty-dont laugh!

Edited by Pertinax

Marrona mia! L' eggo saputa! Moa teng due 'engop o colla mia. Si pudeva parle Grec, chiste due pudeven fa o stese. M'fan mange pan e pan come nu povera zappadore. Pentagathus e Pertinax, ba fa Napola!

Come te piace moa? Me capite?

O Serpe Nere

Edited by Gaius Octavius

OMG what's happening here??? are you drunk???

Gaius i dont understand your dialect. i've understand this

Bel 'e mom, i crede che tu si bel. Biondina, te piace assai

But, if you speak this dialect, can you speak italian or not?

Poverella, I'll never tell. How did the other two guys do? Did you understand them?

Umbriago, O Serpe Nere

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Oh no , we appear to be speaking Punic.