UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Da Vinci Code Movie

Viggen

Just saw the trailer

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_picture...code/large.html

now this will be a movie i am defenitely going to watch, i read the book and i cant wait to see it, now regardless what one thinks about the theory presented in the book, it is first a damm good story to read and it brought details of christianity to my attention my old catholic priest never told me :) like the Thomas Gospel etc...

So who read the book The Da Vinci Code, and who will watch the movie?

cheers

viggen

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the book and thought it was quite poorly written. I also felt it made a lot of claims that were unsubstantiated. I understand that it was a work of fiction, but I feel that a lot of its readers did not understand that.

Go read Holy Blood Holy Grail if you are sincerely interested in the Cathars and the Priory of Sion and the Merovingian Dynasty. I believe the authors of that book are sueing Dan Brown for misrepresenting their research and for earning a lot of money off of their theories.

I'll say this...

The story, the theory, and everything else around is an amazing tale. Now is it JUST a story? Or is all fact or partly...

My religion forces me to say it's all a damn lie...

My brain tells me, someone's lying to me because the Church is not a 'perfect' organization ESPECIALLY during the rise of the church and the medival era...

And Finally, my gut tells me... something is right in there... I just can't say which part I feel is truth...

So, I know I'm going to go see this, I only cringe at the Church sermons that will come from this... :)

To give Sony credit, they made a site online where they invited some 45 christian scholars to give their view on the story and who will dispute the book's theological and historical claims. So hats of to Sony for that :)

http://www.thedavincichallenge.com/

cheers

viggen

It's all fiction, there are no facts. As a Christian I think it's rather offensive but thats my own opinion. Although for anybody to say the story is backed up by facts is just completely false. The author fictionalized and perverted a very sensitive issue to make lots of money, and thats just the way capitalism works.

I think Sony made a good PR move but I don't think they really care.

Edited by tflex

I still haven't read it... waiting for my wife to finish Angel's and Demons so I can read that one first. I understand its supposed to be a very good story, I don't really care about the truth or fiction debate of it.

Then again... my stack of unread books is repulsive, and who knows when I'll ever get to the Da Vinci Code. (I am very much enjoying Keveaney's Sulla at the moment).

Now I'm really upset. I went to the website for the movie and in place of the "a" in DaVinci, they have a freakin "Lambda." I hate it when folks use greek letters without any understanding of what those letters mean. A "sigma" for instance is not an "E" in Greek or in any other language. A "delta" is not an "O," and a "lambda" is certainly never an "A." Why would they use a Greek letter anyway? The movie has nothing to do with Greek! I hate Hollywood.

Now I'm really upset. I went to the website for the movie and in place of the "a" in DaVinci, they have a freakin "Lambda." I hate it when folks use greek letters without any understanding of what those letters mean. A "sigma" for instance is not an "E" in Greek or in any other language. A "delta" is not an "O," and a "lambda" is certainly never an "A." Why would they use a Greek letter anyway? The movie has nothing to do with Greek! I hate Hollywood.

I completely agree. There is a sad lack in knowledge of the greek aphabet, I learned it from my latin teacher originaly who happens to speak ancient greek as well... stupid hollywood...

and btw, I won't see the movie till I've read the book. I never bothered reading it since it seemed relatively childish and infactual. Mainly I was mad at it becuase it "taught" a ton of wrong or sketchy ideas to people who had no idea of the subject and yes, now use it as a "reference"

I read the book and found it to be a badly written mystery. The first "act" really stretches the imagination.

Mainly I was mad at it becuase it "taught" a ton of wrong or sketchy ideas to people who had no idea of the subject and yes, now use it as a "reference"

Don't blame the messenger.. just the unwashed masses that gobble the stuff up. Despite its subject matter, it is still a work of fiction. ;)

I believe one of own forum members uses Caesar's famous quote as his sig...

...quod fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt... Because in general men willingly believe what they wish

Some of you may realize this, but the History Channel had a big feature on this matter, and they disproved almost everything suggested by this "fiction" novel. The Church hates it because it puts together facts that seem like they are related, but in reality, most of the plot/concepts used have no relevance to each other. Just watch the documentary by History Channel if you ever have a chance, things will be explained clearly why this movie/book is false.

I read Angels and Demons and Digital Fortress. Decent reads that definitely spark interest in uncommonly known things. I haven't read The DaVinci Code yet because I haven't seen it in paperback LOL! But from all the hype and Discovery channel specials on the ideas, I guess it won't like totally blow my mind or anything.

It's all fiction, there are no facts. As a Christian I think it's rather offensive but thats my own opinion.

I guess it would require some faith to believe, eh?