UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Unusual By Today's Standards!

P.Clodius

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no pizza !

seriously, the non-industrial nature of such an advanced society as a generality, in particular- the non-personage of slaves as a daily lived experience.

PC -women still wax their "bikini lines" today and shave their legs.The swiss sell a dedicated implement for the rotary cutting of nostril hair! :)

I find the "cure" for a stomach ace quite funny (this was a remedy used not uncommonly for a period of time)

you swallow a small amount of lead, which would, infact, make your stomach ache stop, but you'd be dead pretty soon.

I find the "cure" for a stomach ace quite funny (this was a remedy used not uncommonly for a period of time)

you swallow a small amount of lead, which would, infact, make your stomach ache stop, but you'd be dead pretty soon.

That is similar to the modern "cure" (not seriously used as this one was, although quite often referred to)~ "hit your thumb with a hammer to make a headache stop"

I'd go with the infanticide. Seeing a baby left on a waste heap would be tough (call me a softy).

I think this practice had died out during the periods of my interests, 220's BC to 80'sAD

No it hadn't. We know from remains found at Ephesus that women left their children in the sewers to die. Also, when Nero had Agrippina killed, protestors left babies outside the palace as a gesture of disgust. If a roman child was disabled, it was unlikely to survive anyway so the average father would probably not waste time rearing it to adulthood. Since these unwanted children were a ready source of slaves, the actual percentage of infanticides isn't as high as it seems.

The Roman view of human sexuality.

What's unusual about it. Seems to me like the view Lucretius expounded is almost a perfect match for the view that many men today would endorse--sleep with whomever you wish to get rid of your lust so you can focus on more important things. I'm too much of a romantic to buy that view, but I dare say that many moderns have an altogether cynical (and Roman) view about romance.

I don't understand how anyone could eat laying on their stomach (I mean, other than potato chips which I've been known to do). Eating a big meal like that, you would think you would get sick or something.

I thought that was rather the point--you recline and just nibble for a long time.