UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Unusual By Today's Standards!

P.Clodius

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you fellows reclining on your stomachs, no the Romans would be lying on one side while doing this, it allowed them to have a spare arm while reclining on the other, and just to let you folks know, don't use any forks or what not. Romans ate with hands... Therefore any Roman food was bite size so to speak, making sure that one didn't have too much in one bite. So to point out, there way of eating works perfectly well when mixed with other aspects of culture.

Must have been tough on the elbows.

When on their stomachs, hope no one was under them! :wub:

Even if not directly one-on-one, as Octavius is suggesting, there was apparently the opportunity for a bit of byplay under the togas etc. Ovid, I seem to remember, claims to have brought a girl to climax while lying next to her at dinner. Unfortunately, as so often with ancient history, the evidence is incomplete. We know what Ovid said, but what would the girl have said about it?

Even if not directly one-on-one, as Octavius is suggesting, there was apparently the opportunity for a bit of byplay under the togas etc. Ovid, I seem to remember, claims to have brought a girl to climax while lying next to her at dinner. Unfortunately, as so often with ancient history, the evidence is incomplete. We know what Ovid said, but what would the girl have said about it?

(groan) Now I doubt Ovid was being entirely honest. Romans were very macho so a little manly boasting wasn't amiss.

Actually I'm jealous. But then modern clothes and manners don't really allow for this do they? Or am I attending the wrong parties? :(

A.D. I like Ovid's style. I'll have to give it a go. Can't see how any eating gets done, yet, I think that it would be quite a (scientific) experiment for the entire board. The reports should be of great 'scientific' value.

Well, that is if the morality police don't put the lot of us into irons :P

(groan) Now I doubt Ovid was being entirely honest. Romans were very macho so a little manly boasting wasn't amiss.

Actually I'm jealous. But then modern clothes and manners don't really allow for this do they? Or am I attending the wrong parties? :(

Where there is smoke, there is fire. :(

Good grief, man! Ever hear of a Toga party? Use your imagination. In lieu of that, there is a 'nude' restaurant in NYC. :)

• 3 weeks later...