UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Guest thorngauge

Family Motto

Guest thorngauge

Hey, I was wondering if any could help me with the translation of my family motto. The motto appears on the banner just below my family crest (family name is Phillips), and it says

"DUCIT AMOR PATRIAE."

Thanks in advance!

Hey, I was wondering if any could help me with the translation of my family motto. The motto appears on the banner just below my family crest (family name is Phillips), and it says

"DUCIT AMOR PATRIAE."

Thanks in advance!

Love of the fatherland leads me

Or words to that general effect. Fatherland is a sexist concept! Latin has no 'matria' motherland, so far as I remember.

Fatherland also has some Fascist/Nazi connotations now. For that matter, so does the 'lead' bit: Mussolini was Il Duce = the leader = der F

Herte's a quick etymology I came up with:

Phillips, genitive of Phillip, variant of Philip, from the Greek Φιλιππος - lover of the horse, from the words φιλος - friend and ιππος - horse.

Ducit Amor Patria - The Love of the Fatherland Leads.

Antonescu was Conducatorul=the leader, driver

Ceausecu was president of RSR, sercretary general of PCR, supreme comander of the armed forces....

Antonescu was Conducatorul=the leader, driver

Ceausecu was president of RSR, sercretary general of PCR, supreme comander of the armed forces....

He was all those things, and a tyrant, and the man who detached Romania from the Warsaw Pact, and drove his country from relative prosperity to polluted poverty, and one of the few communist heads of state who rode down the Mall with Elizabeth II; but they did also, towards the end of his career, call him Conducatorul 'the Leader'.

I agree with an earlier translation: Love of the fatherland leads.

Ducit: third person singular:he,she,or it leads (in this case love is the "it",and the verb ducit agrees with

the subject ,amor

amor: nominative singular= subject in the sentence

patriae: genetive singular denoting possession,and is used with the noun(and subject) amor=of the

fatherland Thus "amor patriae" means "love of the fatherland"

Finally Ducit amor patriae.= Love of the fatherland leads.

Guest H Phillips

"DUCIT AMOR PATRIAE."

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

DUCIT AMOR PATRIAE means "Patriotism leads me" here is the website i found it on and there is also a bookhttp://www.4crests.com/phcoofar.html I have been researching my family name for quite a while now and would be appreciated if you could tell me anything and could you tell me your name to help me with our family tree please

Regards

Edited by H Phillips

"DUCIT AMOR PATRIAE."

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

DUCIT AMOR PATRIAE means "Patriotism leads me" here is the website i found it on and there is also a bookhttp://www.4crests.com/phcoofar.html I have been researching my family name for quite a while now and would be appreciated if you could tell me anything and could you tell me your name to help me with our family tree please

Regards

But why trust any website more than UNRV History? We did it better here, believe me. "Patriotism" has many connotations, certainly including "love of the fatherland". But "amor patriae" means, precisely, "love of the fatherland"; therefore the motto means, precisely, "love of the fatherland leads". You can say that it leads "me" or "us" depending on the context: Latin has no need to specify. Tell them this at www.4crests.com!

Alot of Latin translations sound weird to us, so after we get the literal translation, e.g. the love of the country leads, we can change it to make it sound better in english. If you look at it one way, there is no one correct translation, we have to aim in between the literal and what sounds good. - just a thought.

Oh yea, Q. Valerius, do you know Greek? If so: :notworthy:

Edited by Quintus

Guest Armyredhat

I wore it on my helmet when I was in Afghanistan. It is the adopted motto by a certain Army unit. In translation to them it means "Led by love for country." I hope that helps.

"DUCIT AMOR PATRIAE."

Thanks in advance!

I wore it on my helmet when I was in Afghanistan. It is the adopted motto by a certain Army unit. In translation to them it means "Led by love for country." I hope that helps.

"DUCIT AMOR PATRIAE."

Thanks in advance!

You are correct redhat, that is my former units motto, here is a pic of my crest, sorry its so crappy.

the131.jpg