UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
floppybelly

You Knew It Would Happen: Julius Caesar!

Yeah, I'm back for the time being.

In Latin class, we're doing this project on Julius Caesar where we run a trial: the murderers of Julius Caesar are being prosecuted by the common good. I get to be a lawyer on the prosecution side, and I get to cross-examine Brutus, Cassius, Octavius, Antony, Cicero, Cleopatra, and Cato the Younger. So yeah...

Just thought I'd share. Feel free to express your thoughts on the subject.

Stay in character and be extremely offensive to the Cleopatra character, that should be fun.

In Latin class, we're doing this project on Julius Caesar where we run a trial: the murderers of Julius Caesar are being prosecuted by the common good. I get to be a lawyer on the prosecution side, and I get to cross-examine Brutus, Cassius, Octavius, Antony, Cicero, Cleopatra, and Cato the Younger. So yeah...

I would argue to cancel the trial and expedite their execution. Crucifixion would be a good form of execution.

NO TRIAL. Immediate proscription. Cato was already dead, did you dig him up?

I would argue to cancel the trial and expedite their execution. Crucifixion would be a good form of execution.

For Brutus and Cassius, may I recommend nailing their nuts to their knee caps and making them goosestep to the cross!

Edited by P.Clodius

NO TRIAL. Immediate proscription. Cato was already dead, did you dig him up?

I think you should dig him up, crucify him and then hang him from a tree for all to see. After about a week cut him down and throw him to the vultures.

Edited by tflex

For Brutus and Cassius, may I recommend nailing their nuts to their knee caps and making them goosestep to the cross!

LMAO!!! I concur...

Maim, torture, and kill. No trial (heck everyone knows they did it. Seems to me they were PROUD of it!)

LMAO!!! I concur...

Maim, torture, and kill. No trial (heck everyone knows they did it. Seems to me they were PROUD of it!)

Please people, do I have to play Cato's role here? The charge and conduct of the trial was entirely dependent upon perspective. They were proud of the 'assassination' because in their minds, it was tyrannicide. Whether the action and charge is lawful and/or justified or not should be the issue of the trial, not whether or not they did it.

Based on our debates in this forum, I would think this has potential to be an excellent in class exercise. I hope the defense is adequate and dedicated to the cause or this project could turn into a circus of popular opinion :romansoldier:

OK, first off. They murdered a lawfully appointed official. What is the punishment for this? Secondly, Caesar was given the title of Pater Patrae, implying he held the same powers over every roman citizen as did the head of the family. The punishment for the murder of a head of the family was I believe having your legs broken, then being sown into a sack with a cock, a snake, and a dog, then thrown into the Tiber. Since none of these individuals denied,and even flaunted their crime, eyewitnesses saw them do it, why bother with a trial? The Roman people DEMAND retribution for their beloved benefactor. If justice is not sought or given, be prepared to face the consequences!

Edited by P.Clodius

OK, so I propose we conduct our own trial in these forums. For judges I propose PP and Ursus. Prosecution Germanicus, defense Cato. And I'll be the rowdy mob, listening outside the door as tribunes tell me what's being said. Muuhahaha. Cato may wish to issue peremptory challenges against the judges and any witnesses. Who's volunteering for the jury?

Edited by P.Clodius

OK, so I propose we conduct our own trial in these forums. For judges I propose PP and Ursus. Prosecution Germanicus, defense Cato. And I'll be the rowdy mob, listening outside the door as tribunes tell me what's being said. Muuhahaha. Cato may wish to issue peremptory challenges against the judges and any witnesses. Who's volunteering for the jury?

Justice would demand that Brutus and Cassius face a jury of their peers. Since they were the "last of the Romans" (as the historian Cremutius Cordus observed before getting killed by yet another tyrant), the only modern-day equivalents would be those who have witnessed dictatorship first-hand, especially under a dictator who managed to convince himself that he was a living god. So, if there are any ex-pats from North Korea on the forum, they would do just fine. Also permissible would be someone who escaped from Pol Pot's Cambodia, Mugabe's Zimbabwe, Mao's cultural revolution, Hitler's Germany, Franco's Spain, or Mussolini's Italy.

As prosecutor, you should charge the Liberators with high patriotism and press that they face the stiffest penalty imaginable--a vote of thanks from the Senate.

I think describing Caesar's Rome to the above is somewhat of a stretch don't you?

Caligula started off OK too, but then look what happened once he realized what he could get away with. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely. If the liberators hadn't stopped the madness when they did, the Divine Julius would have had his head on every street corner and the liberty of all Rome in the Cloaca Maxiuma.