UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
floppybelly

You Knew It Would Happen: Julius Caesar!

I'd participate, but I'm rather burned out on the Late Republic/Caesar threads.

My only suggestion is that whoever is playing Cleopatra in this exercise of yours stay true to character and try to seduce the leading players.

I'd participate, but I'm rather burned out on the Late Republic/Caesar threads.

No kidding, what else can be said? And I'm a friggin' lawyer at that.

That being said you'd probably want to vet a jury, not just anyone should be allowed on it. Preferably six, or whatever number, members of UNRV who'll admit to not having made up their minds on the issue--good luck finding them.

A decent mock-trial will have opening statements, calling a witness and giving them a direct and cross examination and a then closing argument. A judge could limit each sides attempts at exam to either say twenty questions or perhaps a 24 hour period and the final statements to say 500 words. The judge would also make sure that no non-sourced evidence be allowed ton be referenced during the trial.

It might be effective to have individuals play two of the conspirators (keep the number down to make it easy), each taking the stand and responding--honestly--in the manner one would think was reflective of Brutus, Cato and company.

The above is a simple but doable I think if people were interested.

....but I'm rather burned out on the Late Republic/Caesar threads.

No kidding, what else can be said?

I must admit I find these comments somewhat disturbing coming from what I consider to be two 'core' members. And I certainly don't mean that in a critical way, but in a developmental way. I guess it underscores to some extent what interests us the most about Roman history and the adage Each to his own springs to mind. However, for me and I'm sure others, the late republic is the meat and potatos of Roman history. I know there is MUCH more to Rome than Caesar/late Republic, but I would council there is also much more to Caesar/late Rebublic also. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the subject, but to-ing and fro-ing with Cato has been fun yes, frustrating at times, but above all challenging and I have thoroughly enjoyed the thought provoking experience and I hope it continues. Because of these 'idiological' clashes I am now backlogged in books, books that I cannot wait to delve into. I have learned and re-learned and I for one look forward to the next 'clash'!

I know there is MUCH more to Rome than Caesar/late Republic, but I would council there is also much more to Caesar/late Rebublic also. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the subject, but to-ing and fro-ing with Cato has been fun yes, frustrating at times, but above all challenging and I have thoroughly enjoyed the thought provoking experience and I hope it continues. Because of these 'idiological' clashes I am now backlogged in books, books that I cannot wait to delve into. I have learned and re-learned and I for one look forward to the next 'clash'!

I agree. I've learned a lot and hope to learn even more from our 'ideological' clashes. As long as the clashes go beyond the chanting of "Hail Caesar!" and get to meatier topics (Were the Gallic Wars legal? Could the republic have been saved? Was Caesar another Sulla or simply a tragically misunderstood populare?) that bring in neglected data, the forum is working the way it's supposed to.

Undoubtedly, old ground will be covered, but that's to be expected on any topic. What makes the late Republic different is that there are timeless issues at stake (e.g., monarchy vs republicanism) and there is so much material to cover from so many different angles that there is a high potential for learning.

No kidding, what else can be said?

I must admit I find these comments somewhat disturbing coming from what I consider to be two 'core' members. And I certainly don't mean that in a critical way, but in a developmental way. I guess it underscores to some extent what interests us the most about Roman history and the adage Each to his own springs to mind. However, for me and I'm sure others, the late republic is the meat and potatos of Roman history. I know there is MUCH more to Rome than Caesar/late Republic, but I would council there is also much more to Caesar/late Rebublic also. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the subject, but to-ing and fro-ing with Cato has been fun yes, frustrating at times, but above all challenging and I have thoroughly enjoyed the thought provoking experience and I hope it continues. Because of these 'idiological' clashes I am now backlogged in books, books that I cannot wait to delve into. I have learned and re-learned and I for one look forward to the next 'clash'!

Fair enough. In my case I should have phrased it better, there is a lot more to be said on the topic of course. I frankly got bored with the JC good/evil thing, call me human. I have my own 'ducks in a row' in my mind and knew at some point I wouldn' t convince Cato of my position nor could he convince me. I really didn't want to spend every time I visit this forum arguing as JC's defense counsel and arguing the point with Cato. I made my views known, knew where Cato was coming from and decided I'd let the topic lie fallow until some later time.

Edited by Virgil61

I must admit I find these comments somewhat disturbing coming from what I consider to be two 'core' members.

I've disturbed a lot of people over the years. :P

I just get tired of seeing the same arguments ad infinitum. Especially when more than one person around here seems to take the issue so darn personally. Virgil and I are not the only ones who feel this way, we're just more prone to expressing our views in public.

In any event, no one's trying to put a stop to this, unlike some of the tired threads on the Legion folder. We're merely saying we're sitting on the sidelines. So for those so inclined, have at it! If you have something to teach our eager young students on the forum, by all means go for it.

I know there is MUCH more to Rome than Caesar/late Republic, but I would council there is also much more to Caesar/late Rebublic also. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the subject, but to-ing and fro-ing with Cato has been fun yes, frustrating at times, but above all challenging and I have thoroughly enjoyed the thought provoking experience and I hope it continues. Because of these 'idiological' clashes I am now backlogged in books, books that I cannot wait to delve into. I have learned and re-learned and I for one look forward to the next 'clash'!

I agree, I realised shortly after some of the previous threads on the subject that I could well afford to read more books than I had on the subject, and have a sizable backlog. I don't intend to get involved in any further debate on the subject however, until I can arrive properly armed, and which point I'll cross the Rubicon and hope that Cato flees Rome in a panic. :P

I don't intend to get involved in any further debate on the subject however, until I can arrive properly armed, and which point I'll cross the Rubicon and hope that Cato flees Rome in a panic.

No, a failed suicide attempt followed by self disembowelment will suffice. muuhahahahaha!

Edited by P.Clodius

I don't intend to get involved in any further debate on the subject however, until I can arrive properly armed, and which point I'll cross the Rubicon and hope that Cato flees Rome in a panic. :P

Now that would be a Rubicon-crossing I'd look forward to.

Hmm, a trial on UNRV.... eh, or what not. Personaly, for my own safety, I'll just be standing over here. WAY, over here.

However, if worse comes to worse I'll help out my good buddy cato.

Now that would be a Rubicon-crossing I'd look forward to.

I know you would.

Ok, we're basing this off of history, not Shakespeare's play.

Second, the trial is not to prove that the conspirators killed Caesar, but rather to prove that they were wrong in killing him. We have to prove Caesar's greatness and the murderers' unlawfulness, no matter what they try to justify it with.

And yes, there is a jury, it's anyone who isn't a character or a lawyer.

I'm glad I added so much controversy to the forums, it's always good to have something to talk about.

Edited by floppybelly

Second, the trial is not to prove that the conspirators killed Caesar, but rather to prove that they were wrong in killing him. We have to prove Caesar's greatness and the murderers' unlawfulness, no matter what they try to justify it with.

And what would prove that the conspirators were right in killing him except his own unlawfulness? BTW, "greatness" is entirely subjective--"lawfulness" is not.