UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Crucifixion

frankq

An important point about crucifixion is that the victim dehydrates. Although inactive (obviously) surely the victim would perish in a matter of days through lack of water especially in hot climates. And thats without the discomfort of being lashed/nailed up there in the first place. Starvation isn't really an issue because the victim would be dead before this had an effect. As for asphyxiation, I can't really say, but if it did add to the torture it would only do so when the victim was already close to death.

An important point about crucifixion is that the victim dehydrates. Although inactive (obviously) surely the victim would perish in a matter of days through lack of water especially in hot climates. And thats without the discomfort of being lashed/nailed up there in the first place. Starvation isn't really an issue because the victim would be dead before this had an effect. As for asphyxiation, I can't really say, but if it did add to the torture it would only do so when the victim was already close to death.

Along those lines I would just like to add the easily ignored fact of heatstroke, less of a problem in Northern Gaul perhaps where hypothermia might be the issue. I mean its a bit exposed up there really isn't it?