UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Torture

futurehistorian1

First off id just like to say that im back i used to be a very very active member on this site then kinda forgot about it. Well im back now so heres my question

How often did the romans use torture. Did they use itr for reasons other than punishment how often did they use it and what kind of devises did they use.

According to Roman law, the testimony of a slave was not legal to be used in court UNLESS it had been obtained through torture.

What do you think the reasoning for this was? To prevent slaves from offering testimony themselves? Whom would this benefit?

This was limited originally to criminal cases but was later expanded to include other cases such as adultery in the imperial period. Since the testimony of a slave, if lying, could be so instrumental in either helping or harming their masters so severely, only torture would allow the court to assume they were telling the truth. Brutal but effective I suppose.

Since the testimony of a slave, if lying, could be so instrumental in either helping or harming their masters so severely, only torture would allow the court to assume they were telling the truth. Brutal but effective I suppose.

Effective in producing an answer, but not necessarily in producing the truth. Under torture, I think I would say whatever I believed the torturer wanted to hear.

Since the testimony of a slave, if lying, could be so instrumental in either helping or harming their masters so severely, only torture would allow the court to assume they were telling the truth. Brutal but effective I suppose.

Effective in producing an answer, but not necessarily in producing the truth. Under torture, I think I would say whatever I believed the torturer wanted to hear.

Agreed, I refine my statement to indicate brutal but effective in getting the testimony to match the desired result of the interrogator/torturer.