UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Sewage

Castor

I heard that lead pipes were one of the factors of the downfall of rome, but in science I also learned that small amounts of poison will create an enzyme or resistance against it. So if the Romans were constantly drinking poisoned water, they would have a resistance against lead. So were the lead pipes so bad?

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2951

there is a lead discussion that has been dormant for a while! Everyones been drinking too much hopped Beer. :oops:

Its highly unlikely that lead pipes were solely responsible for lead poisoning in romans. The water could not have picked up enough lead. Womens makeup was far more dangerous, containing lots of lead that was in close proximity to the mouth and - well use your imagination. Cooking vessels are another culprit.

Lead poisoning wasn't a huge factor in roman health given that only two out of five survived into their twenties, but I will concede that senile old men were common enough to attract notice in those times. Senility of course is a symptom of lead poisoning although there are many reasons why a roman might suffer so.