UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

First Man In Rome - Must Read

gnaeus_atilius

Has any one read books in the masters of rome series? Well they're really good and they bigger than lord of the rings (except if u knwo your history u know what happens). The series is written by a brilliant australian scientist! who is also a grandmother and a roman academic! (wow, what a woman). Anyway the masters of rome series is unique as it traces the rise of Gaius Marius, then his fall, followed by the rise of Sulla and the nurturing of three young hopefuls (Caesar, Pompey and Crassus). I'm only up to the third book (each about 1000 pages) but the series ends with the senate proclaiming octavian emperor of rome. So basically its 100 years of history compiled into 6 books of 1000 pages. What really helps is that the author has even provided drawings of the faces of the characters at intervals throughout the book and oh my god! the index at the back is about 200 pages of definitions and explainations of terms in the book. The writing is fantastic but when you start reading it can seem a little dauntng and boring. Stick with it for the first chapter (year). Once you start seeing characters get old who u were frst introduced to as young you get a sense of time passing. Battles are possibly the best i've ever read and the private lives interconnected with politics is just as interesting. A book for everyone i think not bcause of everything i previously said, but because it will give you the most historically accuarte understanding of the roman republic.

You can read the first chapter of the books at amazon or something. The first man in rome is the first book in the series so start there.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/038...nrvromanempi-20