UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Christianity As A Mystery Religion

As I and others have argued in other threads, the so-called Neronian persecutions appear a myth. If nothing else, where did all these "Christians" spring from BEFORE the diaspora of the 70s AD?

Phil

Absolutely. And even the few that were in Rome then would have been considered heretical or even Pagan by the time of Jovian and Theodosius.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.vexen.co.uk/books/jesusmysteries.html

Interesting post Northern Neill. I enjoyed it thoroughly and it confirms a lot of the conclusions I have come to myself after much thought and research

where did all these "Christians" spring from BEFORE the diaspora of the 70s AD?

1. Not all early Christians were former Jews .

2. The Jewish Diaspora begun before 70 CE . Philo of Alexandria visited Rome as a member of an embassy to the emperor Caligula in 40 CE , he gave a overview of the life of the Jews in Rome at the time . With regard to Augustus reign , Josephus mentions a lawsuit in which 8,000 Jews from Rome sided with one of the parties (Jewish antiquities 2.80). From that we know that there were some 40,000 Jews in Rome at the time .

Edit - Twice (before 70 CE) Jews were exiled from Rome, in 19 CE and in 49-50 CE , The second exile occurred because of disturbances caused by the rise of Christianity .

Edited by Caesar CXXXVII