UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kotik

The Life Of The Auxillary

I have now for some time wondered about the life of the auxilla in a border fort. I remember seeing pictures of auxillary troops stationed in a tower on border wall (limes) and that got me wondering, how long did they stay in a border tower?

Is there any books/internet sites that tells about the life of the auxillary troops?

P.S. Moderators I didn't really know where to put my question so please feel free to move it or delete it.

Hello and welcome.

An initial starting point might be the two Osprey titles "Roman Auxiliary Cavalryman " (AD 14 -193) and "Rome's Northern Frontier" AD 70 -235. If you flick through the Gallery area I have an "Historic sites " album which will lead you to some annotated images on the Hadrianic defences and some further notes on various Auxilliae.Thats just for basic starters.

http://www.roman-britain.org/overview.htm

this link takes you to a neat little site with auxilliae linked to location in Britain.

Which continent are you on by the way?

Hello and welcome.

An initial starting point might be the two Osprey titles "Roman Auxiliary Cavalryman " (AD 14 -193) and "Rome's Northern Frontier" AD 70 -235. If you flick through the Gallery area I have an "Historic sites " album which will lead you to some annotated images on the Hadrianic defences and some further notes on various Auxilliae.Thats just for basic starters.

http://www.roman-britain.org/overview.htm

this link takes you to a neat little site with auxilliae linked to location in Britain.

Which continent are you on by the way?

Geat! thanks! i will look through the site more closly when I have the time.

Well I live in Sweden so it would be the european continent.