UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Saying Of The Day

Good people come uninvited to good people's feasts.

-- Ancient Greek traditional: but some argued that the first 'good' should really be replaced by 'bad'. Discuss!

I submit that "No good deed goes unpunished" proves the latter argument.

and "Better a dinner of herbs and love therewith , than hatred and a stalled ox" as backup.

"Friends help you move, good friends help you move the body."

-- New 'Joisey' unofficial state motto

Let them hate us as long as they fear us.

--Caligula

True story, I may have repeated here once before. A Reserve Marine infantry battalion (BN) commander in Al Kut, Iraq around summer/fall of 2003 used to spout this quotation off. His troops acted accordingly pretty much alienating the local populace. Once the division commander found out about it he summed the BN commander in and ordered the whole BN to 'stand down' for 24 hours and reflect on how harmful that attitude was to promoting goodwill among the population.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortune sometimes breaks off completely, sometimes merely delays, the execution of mens plans.

--Velleius Paterculus

The most common beginning of disaster was a sense of security.

--Velleius Paterculus

What is truth?

--Pontius Pilate

A man must be either frugal, or Caesar.

--Caligula

The man was a teacher of a peculiar sect of his own, and was not like the rest of their leaders.

--Josephus

"I like a man who grins when he fights",

Winston Churchill.

:ph34r::P:D

Edited by longbow

"History is, indeed, little more than the register of the the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind."

"The best and most important part of every man's education is that which he gives himself."

"Books are those faithful mirrors that reflect to our mind the minds of sages and heroes."

~Edward Gibbon

• 4 weeks later...

"All the technical information was stolen from reliable sources and I am happy to stand behind it" Edward Abbey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, scince for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despiceable an ignoreable war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." -- Albert Einstein