UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome: Total War

longbow

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, RTW is the best strategy game i've ever played. And even better with the Realism mod...

excellent game could be better.

heres a nifty utility for ANY game but i use it with RTW/BI http://www.fraps.com/

you can make your own movies of the battles[ with windows movie maker] instant screnshots.

there is a freeversion but i would buy the latest one.

second reccomendation is for a book site and this is for http://www.abebooks.com/

millions of books on ALL subjects etc buy the vast majority of my books from here.

second reccomendation is for a book site and this is for http://www.abebooks.com/

millions of books on ALL subjects etc buy the vast majority of my books from here.

Go to www.bookfinder.com ... it uses AbeBooks as well as other rare, oop and other type of book search engines and selling sites... so you get all of them collected in one place...

Rome: Total War is a p.c game which has been around for nearly a year now. Its probably the best thing to use if you want to see how romans fought in battle and using it to try to simulate real battles can help to understand which way the battle was really fought. Factions in the game include The house of Julii, The house of Scipii, The house of Brutii. They are the 3 Playable Roman Factions. There is also S.P.Q.R who own the city of Rome at the start of the main campaign game. the idea is to win battles and conquer Gaul with the house of Julii and gain popularity with the masses and the senate.When you have a high enough reputation you may turn your armies towards The capital and take the Empire for yourself. Then perhaps turn your attention to those Carthaginians and finish off the Punic wars which the house of Scipii would have started. Or sail in your boats and finish off the macedonians and the remaining Greek states and head towards the Rich lands of the seleucids.

Factions which also can be played after completeing the Roman campaign are The Gauls, Germania, Carthage, The Seleucid Empire, Egypt (Ptolmaic) and The Greek cities.

The game starts at around 270 B.C and ends after you have conquered a certain amount of 'The Known World' or 45 A.D. It also Includes the Marius reforms and your ability to recruit Hastati, Principes,Triarii and Equites is replaced by Praetorian Cohorts, Legionary Cohorts, Urban Cohorts, Praetorian Cavalry, Legionary Cavalry, Roman Cavalry, Archer Auxilia and Legionary First Cohort.

The Expansion for Rtw, Barbarian Invasion, start at around 350 A.D and lets you take control of Goths, Sarmations, Huns and both Eastern and Western Empires. The Western Empire is crumbling as the campaign starts so you can try to ressurect it and build up the legions or take part in its destruction as the Hun Horde.

Either way its very accurate and gives great simulations of how things were at the time and can also make you realise why some generals may have made the descisions they made.

Im a member of the clan Legio VI Victrix (named after the legion which i see is discussed in other topics in this forum) who play multiplayer on the game against other clans.

Our forum can be accessed from our newly made Website www.vivictrix.net.

Either way its very accurate and gives great simulations of how things were at the time and can also make you realise why some generals may have made the descisions they made.

The game is HORRIBLY inaccurate... especially the expanison of BI... if you want better accuracy play the Rome Total Realism mod...

The original RTW game was made in a way where the player's Roman faction expands quickly and then starts a CW with the others in an intent to win... by the game's year 270bc, there are HORRIBLE inaccuracies to locations held by Rome... besides which... the units are a joke as well.

The Urban Cohorts were nothing more than police units of major cities and were in no way superior to even regular armed forces... it's funny how as soon as you develop legions they suddenly have lorica segmentia and look like the classic Imperial Legions we always see when we think of Rome...

The game is fun yes, should it even be considered for any type of historical value... a little, maybe basic rudimentary stuff... should it be given the praise it gets for accuracy and showing how battles would play out? Hardly... the AI is so stupid it blindly suicides itself into your lines almost every battle... because you know... that's realistic right? :lol: Elephants are WAY overpowered in the game and cavalry is way overpowered in the game... another major issue is how your troops FLY across the field it seems...

There are so many issues with this thing I can't see how it can be said to be "very accurate"...

• 2 weeks later...
I have RTW and I love it, but I am considering downloading RTR. I know it is more historically accurate, but is it any more fun to play?

Ya I think so. I use to be a skeptic too, but then I finally downloaded it and was grateful. Tons of new units, more realistic feel to the battle, less micromanaging (but not too much less), better map layout (you can conquer India!) It's great. :)

this link has the mp3 files for Total War

http://www.stackbabber.com/Rome%20Total%20War/