UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome: Total War

longbow

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scanderbeg

Did you guys hear of the Triumvirate mod? It takes placed in late B.C(around 54) and each faction gets replaced by Caesar, Pompey and Crassus. Each one gets a certain piece of land like Caesar gets conquered parts of Gaul. A good portion of land for each the rest is owned by the senate. It sounds pretty cool.

Guest Scanderbeg
hey, i dont really feel like making a new thread for this... but has anyone played the Alexander the Great game that came out?  made from the movie?  it said its got the largest scale battles in it then any other game using over 800 on screen units to represent over like 60,000 i think it said.  i saw it a while ago and thought id ask...?  id like to get it if my komp was better, i cant even play RTW anymore :D

DONT!!! It's horrible. I can't even begin to explain just how bad the game is. It was pathetic it hurt me to play it. Whatever you do DO NOT touch that game. It's like PC games rewinded to 7 years ago with that game.

Guest Scanderbeg

My one problem with this game is that it lacks depth. The maps size is way too small and doesn't allow for proper manuevering, battles are decided in seconds and diplomacy is seriosuly lacking. The Civil Wars are more like "hey lets group up against you" rather then the three families fighting for power. Its a great game. But CA made it for the average person rather then strategy fans. It would be better if the world map offered more detail, I wish the terrain played a bigger part in trasnporting armies. I would love to have to secure supply lines and I wish I could perform strategies in battles. Certain game options are completely half-assed. Like the protectorate. If a nation becomes my protectorate in the game its like having an alliance, only now they are sucking money from me. A protectorate should allow me to draw troops from it or other things.

and I wish I could perform strategies in battles

IMO, if you cant perform a simple flanking maneuver in tactical combat in RTW, you need a lil practice Scanderbeg.

I can successfully do pincer movements, feigned retreats, etc through the original RTW combat system, just takes a little practicing. Feigned retreats work better on humans though, because they rush everything at you once you pull your troops back from the front. Then my cata's come out of the trees... chaotic i say. :blink:

Guest Scanderbeg

I do flanking manuevers but by the time I can do it right the enemy has already routed. Not to mention detail on factions besides Rome are incredibly shallow. They did not do ANY research on their political systems whatsoever. What about the Carthagenian senate?

well there is a mod for rome which is supposed to make it really historically correct with unit numbers and so forth,taking out made up units,though i think i know where screeching women came from, the battle in britainia where the revolt was beaten and a women had been leading it,not quite sure which battle but basically the british women had made a wall of wagons to watch their men win and to cheer for them and when the britains routed this caused many of them to die but back to the point,the mod is called total realism maybe look it up on google as i dont feel like going and getting the link and so forth and also there is an expansion coming out for rom,also i think they mainly did the political parts on the romans,because to make all of the events and systems for all of the cultures would take a long time,oh and maxed out bull riders wreck!

The mod that makes it more historically accurate is Rome: Total Realism. Very cool mod. The map is bigger. There are more cities. Can play as all factions. Romans are united as one rather than 3 fractions. Very cool mod.

I love this game. I must have made 5 different games with the original Rome: TW because I wanted to experience them all at the same time, don't know why. I find myself lacking in play time because of SW: Galaxies. But it is nonetheless a game worth picking up. Especially if you install the Total Realism mod.

Guest Scanderbeg

One thng that annoys me is how far up Dyrrachium was. Seems rather insignificant but if the location was in the place the modders put it the city would be in Montenegro right now.... However I see the reason it would be too inconvinient to place it so close to Apollonia.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Scanderbeg

For those who are playing RTR for a really fun and challenging experience with Rome I highly suggest playing the ROma mod. It starts in 280 with a really tough Pyrrhus in Tarrentum and another tough general. Its not easy and for a long time you wil be short on cash. Every move counts. here is the info.

Some of the new skins look amazing.

bouis_cards.png

You can DL the mod here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roma mod is a faction specific mod for RTR 5.4.1, intended to be played only as the Romans.

Roma mod features an all new map to RTR based on my WesternMap, two new building sets, 129 sprites, 16 new auxilia units, 28 skins, and 18 models. It features some very elaborate coding not seen (to my knowledge) in any other mod. Special attention has been paid to the way the AI behaves.

--- Major Roma Mod Features ---

Roma Mod does not require its own install of RTR; it includes a set of batch scripts to enable Roma Mod and RTR to coexist.

Roma Mod is optimized for the Roman player. Roman buildings and units are now dependent on the "citizenship" level as represented by colony buildings. Higher level citizenship buildings allow better buildings and units, but reduce trade income in the province and can ruin potential barbarian auxilia recruiting areas. To survive you must balance the need to keep cities functioning with the need to keep income coming in. The early game feels much more like running a city state than an empire.

The unit stats are based on RTR, with much tweaking intended to give non-Roman units a morale and upkeep advantage that the AI needs to make the game pleasurable. Non-Roman generals will now have better command stats. Roman units have their stats lowered with an expectation of "default experience" which varies depending on what buildings are built. Generally it is harder to get "elite" units, and when you have them they aren't excessively better than regular ones. All non-Roman factions share the same recruitment buildings, but to recruit Roman units requires Roman-faction specific buildings. The expense and limited population of Rome forces the player to make extensive use of foreign auxiliaries, as was historically the case.

A new building, called the "Subjugation Campaign" has been introduced. Barbarian lands such as Gaul, Germany, Iberia, Numidia, Dacia, etc now have very restive populations, and will not be easy to conquer nor easy to hold onto after conquest. These buildings, over time and with great cost, remove this dissent hit, and allow for the eventual Romanization of these "barbarian" peoples.

New AI formations have been added and old ones modified to give the AI a fighting chance, and the AI is more likely to recruit better and more experienced units than previously. A new combat model increases the fighting strength of cavalry against sword-armed infantry. Disciplined infantry can and will prevail against heavy cavalry, but it will not be a short or easy battle.

--- Gameplay Notes ---

Roma Mod is hard. It is supposed to be. Money will always be tight, and your enemies will not be nearly as inept as you may be used to. It is not exce

ssive, however, and you will in fact find that single large battles can make a difference.

Roma Mod is complex. A lot has been added to the game, so read this!

Huge unit size is recommended. I went through the trouble of including more than 120 sprites so someone with a midrange system will be able to handle it. If you don't play with huge unit size, a dimension of the early game (the limited population of Roman citizens) is lost or at least seriously eased.

Pay careful attention to the upkeep cost of units. If you train more units than you can pay for, you will find yourself unable to build any buildings or new units! Generally auxilia units are cheaper to maintain. All cavalry are very expensive.

--- House Rules ---

For the best game experience, play by these house rules.

1) Do not disband units in Rome that were not recruited there originally, or do any "trick" that works around the limited population of Roman citizens.

2) Do not destroy captured temples until you have built the Municipia colony and are able to replace it with a Roman one.

3) Do not exterminate cities, only capture or enslave.

4) If you think you should have no chance of winning a siege battle when the AI is attacking, autoresolve it.

5) Don't save and reload when you lose!

--- Auxilia Guide ---

Improve (or maintain) with Roman colonization:

Italian Spearmen (not available post marian)

Italian Light Infantry (not available post marian)

Italian Cavalry (not available post marian)

Greek Archers

Greek Light Infantry

Syrian Archers

Iberian Infantry

Spanish Cavalry

Decline with Roman colonization:

Numidian Javelinmen

Numidian Cavalry

Sarmatian Cavalry (also available as mercs, and retrainable!)

Gallic Swordsmen

Gallic Heavy Spearmen

Gallic Cavalry

German Axemen

Thracians

• 4 weeks later...

The expanssion pack looks good

1 - it's called RTW: Barbarian Invasion

2 - it is set in the years 364 to 476 AD, with the Roman empire split into East and West

3 - you can play as either "wing" of the Roman empire and start with a fully formed empire. Your object is simple - survive! The barabarian hordes and lots of rebellions to fend off it says.

4 - There are several barbarian campaigns - Vandals, Saxons and Huns are named

5 - There is a rival empire - the Sassanid from Persia

6 - the Huns have no settlements at all and start with "15 large armies" and have to sweep across the map

7 - there are lots of new units and tactics: a type of x-bow unit, Hun lancers, barbarian Golden Band (elite berserkers), mobile chariot artillery, the Shiltrom (a kind of barabarian phalanx), a shield wall formation, morale boosting druids and priests are all mentioned

8 - there will be spectacular night time battles where morale of the defenders will be lower at the start (tho attackers' morale can drop it seems if they don't break through!)

9 - river battles will allow some light units (inc cavalry!) to SWIM across and avoid "death at the bridge"

siegeatnight24id9id.th.jpg

priests2uq1cj.th.jpg

siegeatnight55ig2fg.th.jpg

siegeatnight15qs7dv.th.jpg

Guest Scanderbeg

I see historical accuracy is not going to be an objective for them....once again. :D

Oh well, thats why there are mods.

Btw, the whole night thing was something they were going to implement in RTW but didnt because they rished the game out. There is a feature that pops up when moding the game that let you pick between night and day matches......

I hope, hope, that they make a diplomacy system that actually works and fix the AI.