UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Caesar By Goldsworthy

Viggen

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just recently picked up a book on Caesar which I will now start reading. Its by Christian Meier translated from German into English. Ill give a review as soon as I can after.

on a scale of 1 to 10 how good is is this book by Christian Meier?

I just recently picked up a book on Caesar which I will now start reading. Its by Christian Meier translated from German into English. Ill give a review as soon as I can after.

on a scale of 1 to 10 how good is is this book by Christian Meier?

I suppose that depends on what you are looking for. If you want a strict biography of Caesar... this is not it, but if you are looking for a reasonably in depth discussion on the political situation and the underlying culture that brought down the Republic, Meier's book is excellent.

Though I read it somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years ago and I'm a bit fuzzy on it and will refrain from a numerical rating. I suppose a revisit is in order.

As primus said, this books detail is massive. Chapters will fly by with only small mentions of Caesar. It is far more then a biography, its a whole understanding of the time period inwhich the man lived and was shaped in. He will repeat his points often though and that can get tiresome but often necessary to completely keep you in touch with the moment(the issue of the "outsider" is a recurring theme) I recently got my order of Grants bio of Caesar and from the small bits I read, its far more accessable. Though Im loving Meier.

Edited by Divi Filius

This is a great book and deserves to be reviewed in depth. Am looking forward to reading your insights into this work, as I don't recall much of it now, having read this years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Caesar, Life of a Colossus landed on my doorstep a few hours ago. I am pleased to report that thus far (50 pages in) it seems excellent, not least because I suspect certain remarks in it will infuriate our own beloved M. Porcius Cato...

Not that it seems especially pro Caesar, but Goldsworthy's very strong on the imporatnce of precedent to the Romans and points to the fact that inherent political violence began with the Gracchi and was sporadically present from their time onwards, even when it did not lead to civil war...

I'd like to do a review of this book when I've finished it if I may claim the privilege.

Caesar, Life of a Colossus landed on my doorstep a few hours ago. I am pleased to report that thus far (50 pages in) it seems excellent, not least because I suspect certain remarks in it will infuriate our own beloved M. Porcius Cato...

Oh this ought to be good... B)