UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Literacy Of Roman Soldiers

G'day all

I apologise if this subject has been covered before in advance. I was curious about how many Roman soldiers could read. After reading a book concerning Gaius Marius, it said that Marius once commented that writing was "a lettered version of learning to swim; it saves lives". So; does anyone have any opinions on whether it was a useful for Roman soldiers to be able to read, and around how many could read at any time?

I have nothing to offer other than speculation however I'd assume that some soldiers could read and write, I've read that these were often given special positions. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that even among common legionaries at least a few in any given camp or barracks was literate. Given the bordom of life in the barracks or at camp (there was alot going on but there would also be alot of "down time" with nothing much to do) rudimentary knowledge of reading and writing may have spread, just for something to do.

Reading and writing would have earned them 'immunes' status very quickly, or the occaisional administration duty failing that. Desirable, but most soldiers were very likely illiterate.