UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Explorers?

Horatius

When Juba is referred to in Pliny's Natural history, he is referred to as a Roman Citizen.

Pliny additionally writes that only Juba ordered the expedition to the Canary Islands, and that he himself was not present on the trip.

Edited by WotWotius

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aighty, thanks. My National Geographic Wallmap only said, "He explored the Canary Islands," It still is an expedition by Romans.

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

When Juba is referred to in Pliny's Natural history, he is referred to as a Roman Citizen.

Pliny additionally writes that only Juba ordered the expedition to the Canary Islands, and that he himself was not present on the trip.

Ahh thanks for clearing that up :D

No problem. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
When Juba is referred to in Pliny's Natural history, he is referred to as a Roman Citizen. Pliny additionally writes that only Juba ordered the expedition to the Canary Islands, and that he himself was not present on the trip.

I've gone back over all the times that Pliny refers to Juba and honestly I can

Apologies for writing such falsehoods, but, keep in mind that when I wrote the above statement I genuinely believed it to be true: being too lazy to consult my library

WotWotius,

No worries because I was by no means calling you out. :) Happens all the time to me that I will post from memory and find out I got it just a bit wrong...

The important thing is that we know who Juba II was and that he probably takes the cake as the preeminent Roman explorer considering his knowledge of both the Atlantic & Indian Oceans

Thanks for posting that passage P. It's one of those numerous, though vague I suppose, innuendos that the Romans were vastly more aware of the world beyond thier own empire.

Interesting that these pirates on floating rafts could cause so much trouble... but even more interesting is how this inflated ox skin raft was constructed. Too bad Pliny doesn't give us a bit more detail.

Most welcome,

The raft in question is similar to what the ancients called a 'Pot Raft' where pontoons where made of any kind of vessel where air could be trapped and then lashed too & decked over with wood or reeds; in this case of course the pontoons are ox skins.

I have seen a clay cartouche of Herakles riding one before.

But thinking of pirates in that area of the world today, they attack cruise ships & mega cargo ships in crappy wooden fishining boats so it's relatively the same difference! :)