UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Our View Of Rome

phil25

It was here that the Christians were persecuted.

I believe this idea is unsupported by any known facts. In many ways, this view shows the relevance of the opening post.

...Absolutely - this applies as well to the alleged extent and purposes of the other 'persecutions' (see other posts in relevent section). I seem to remember someone on another topic saying that most gladiator fights in the arenas actually didn't end in death. Our whole period of interest, it seems to me, is coloured by assumptions which are untrue, largely on account of hollywood films it seems, although theodosius 'the great' probably exaggerated the 'persecution' stories.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skarr - that's very interesting, and sounds likely. What is your source?

Phil

Not one particular source.. I've read too many books on Rome and things connected with Rome for the past 25 years now and cannot pinpoint a particular source that all of this comes from... I have a fairly good picture in my mind now of how Rome looked and how the citizens lived... It certainly helps if you are a writer.

i Please tell me more aobut your books I tried to email from your site but my Outlook Express doesn't work for some reason I am in New Zealand Are yor books available here