UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Book List

Primus Pilus

We hope guests will find the book list useful. We hope to eventually include thousands of titles, but will build it slowly so it doesn't get too bulky too fast. Right now there are only a couple of sortable categories... Fiction and Non-Fiction, but eventually we may add more to help with searching. Non-Fiction may include things like Army, Atlases, Coins, etc., and we'll also add a separate link for movies to keep things easy to find.

Please provide any suggestions or comments you may have to make this work well for everyone. Discussions about any particular titles can be started in a new thread within this Book forum category.

Check out the Roman Books list.

Thanks!!!

UNRV

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

salve,

this is my first post. i am delighted to have found this forum and enjoy reading about history and art

from ancient - renaissance.

i am responding to pompeis magnus' on books about the early days of the republic or before:

"the roman conquest of italy" by jean-michel david

LINK

0631203257.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.gif

Patriccio Garrahan gives a good review:

"...This not a history of the conquest of Italy by Rome but a history of

how after being conquested by Rome Italy became "Romanized".

another book if i may,

"storming the heavens: soldiers, emperors, and civilians in the roman empire" by antonio santosuosso :

LINK

081333523X.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

a wonderful study of the roman armies in the early roman republic.

of course there are lots of books that cover the whole range which would have early sections, like

"handbook to life in ancient rome" LINK

or any number of historical atlases on rome. i am new here, please excuse me if i have repeated any suggestions another has previously made.

paolo

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

While I did publish a post on my new novel (already released as an ebook, pending print release by a publisher, who's accepted this and will be released soon on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.), how does one get listed in the Roman Books section ?

Just post me a link as soon as it has its own home on amazon, Skarr and I'll get it on the list pronto. I do plan on doing a review the book and giving it it's own page as well... I just have my fingers crossed that I don't blush too bad at the 'racy' parts :D:angry:

Thanks, Primus. Appreciate your interest in my work. Well, my publisher and I are currently reviewing the content and while he indicated that he has become a fan of my book after reading it, he did mention that the content was a little strong in parts. However, while I deliberately included this in the novel to convey the true sense of shock the conservative Romans felt, I did try and present it in a matter of fact manner, something which was quite ordinary to the characters themselves. In fact, it becomes unimportant after a while, even to the Romans, like anything else which we become accustomed to.

I think the novel in print may not be as 'racy' as the unexpurgated ebook! In any case, we are dealing with a time 2,000 years ago and it would be inappropriate to attach post Christian views on morality to the times. I am sure that each reader will have his or her own private view and I would leave it to their judgment on whether or not it is in keeping with the tenor of the novel, its characters and the story line.

All I can say is that I wrote this with passion, with a definite sense of purpose and in keeping with the overall theme of the series. The first novel is a kind of prelude to the series, as it ends at the gates of Rome. The second novel will bring in the real flavor of the series and I'm sure any fan of ancient Rome would be absolutely thrilled by it. I really enjoyed writing it and had a lot of fun. I hate editing though and if anyone is really interested in editing my second novel, send me your credentials via email as I'm looking for an editor.

• 1 month later...

After a while we updated the book blog...

A new book from Bryan Ward-Perkins about the end of the roman empire...

if anyone has read the book and want to make a review please let us know :(

more info about the book

http://www.unrv.com/roman-books/index.php

regards

viggen