UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Italy Owes Wine Legacy To Celts

Viggen

Wine conjures up the image of cultured drinkers sipping their way delicately through a full-bodied vintage.

But for two history buffs with a passion for the tipple, northern Italy has the barbarians to thank for its long wine-making tradition. Luca Sormani, from Como, and Fulvio Pescarolo, from the tiny town of Robbio near Milan, have traced the region's wine culture all the way back to its Celtic roots and have started making it according to ancient methods. Celtic tribes from farther north

Couple of knee-jerk thoughts:

1) I wonder if the Roman name for the tribe relates to the grape varietal 'barbera'?

2) I wonder how much the French are going to tout their Celtic blood now? hehe

I think the thing that grated me about the article is the gross misrepresentation of the title... Celts may have eventually started growing grapes & making wine in the 5th Century in northern Italy but that does not in any way mean that Italy (as a whole) OWES its legacy to them.

The legacy is owed to the Bronze Age via either Canaanite-Phoenicians, Mycaenean Greeks, Pelasgians or the Etruscans.

It's really irresponsible journalism. :P

Ok, I'm off my soapbox! :)

Not the first wave of Celto -mania, the Victorians had a "new age" thing for the celtic fringe.

• 4 weeks later...

Lol. Peter Ellis. :ph34r: *made the mistake of buying one of his books in his younger, foolish days of last winter*

I definately see that trend. Nearly every aspect of Western Culture seems to be the fruit of the Celts, these days. I hold that the prior trend of giving credit for everything solely to the Mediterranean states was a bit extreme, but it seems its swung to the other side too much.

• 1 month later...
I wonder if the Roman name for the tribe relates to the grape varietal 'barbera'?

nope. The term "barbarian" refers to them basically as the "bearded ones." The term came about when the Romans started considering being clean-shaven, or as they called it, barbered, as civilized. Everyone who wasn't barbered was termed as a barbarian.

I wonder if the Roman name for the tribe relates to the grape varietal 'barbera'?

nope. The term "barbarian" refers to them basically as the "bearded ones." The term came about when the Romans started considering being clean-shaven, or as they called it, barbered, as civilized. Everyone who wasn't barbered was termed as a barbarian.

That's a new one :P

That's a new one :P

One of several theories... I've heard that one before as well. I also read one that was a take on the Greek origin of Barbaros about the word being a simple replication of the sound that sheep make.... Baaaaa Baaaaa. Heh.