UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Today in my Latin class, my teacher brought up a good question in which another fellow full-fledge historian had no answer to. The question was, assuming that the Senate was the real authority in leving legions, why was Caesar able to levy a legion, then 2 or 3 more(?) for the Helvetian campaign without consulting the senate.

Was it by this time generals/governors no longer cared for senatorial authority.

Also, when Caesar levied his legions, how were they able to becoming a fighting force without training so quick?

The answer is of course, as you realise, that the senate was no longer the 'real authority'.

As to the second part, all the centurions and probably many of the standard bearers and optios would be veterans. It is also possible that other experienced men might join too. Thus there would be a strong cadre of experience for the legion to draw on. Also Caesar generally kept the 'recruit' legions in reserve where possible until they had gained experience on campaign.

Today in my Latin class, my teacher brought up a good question in which another fellow full-fledge historian had no answer to. The question was, assuming that the Senate was the real authority in leving legions, why was Caesar able to levy a legion, then 2 or 3 more(?) for the Helvetian campaign without consulting the senate.

Was it by this time generals/governors no longer cared for senatorial authority.

Also, when Caesar levied his legions, how were they able to becoming a fighting force without training so quick?

i think the answer lies in the fact that there is a common misconception that the senate had powers in this area which it simply did not. the senate's only power, outside that of a consultative body, was in relation to religion. The ability to levy troops was intrinsicly linked in the republic and empire to the possession of Imperium. cf Jones Imperium of Augustus in JRS some time ago. The only people at rome who possessed imperium were the elected magistrates, the consuls and perhaps the praetors. These were the only two people who were legally allowed to levy troops. cf Linnot The Constitution of the Roman Republic Thus ceasar was able to levy legions as dictator which carried imperium (normally 24 lictors, symbolising the imperium of both consuls) and the senate, without imperium was not able to. i think there is something about the number of such legions in Keppie's Making of the Roman Army, which is well worth a read

to levy a legion by an act of the senate... is the legal way and back by an act of the Romanus law.

to levy a legion by yourself... is illegal... and subject to legal persecution in the future.

then how can J. Caesar do it easily;

first he have the dictatorship which carried imperium, ( and the secret triumvirate )

second he use it as an excuse against barbarian and other war campaign,

and Marius is married to Caesar aunt. ( that he have a way to called the veteran legiones )

in Marius time , he was given the legal act to rise a legion,

but the senators refuse to give their share of burden, which normally means that each senator

will have the right and give a certain number of men , weapons and logistics...

... and Marius luckily do it himself... and the normal political, military and social strata was broken...

... and the rest is history... we now know or remembered as the "Marius Reform.'

Why not? I mean, in such a pressing situation, where Rome is being threatened by such a powerful and fearful enemy, when the moment to come to arms is so pressing and the very chance of Rome itself beign overrun by this so terrible tribe of barbarians. I mean figure the numbers, 368,000. Thats a nation on the move. Considering the fresh memory of the Cimbri and Teutons is at hand, can Caesar really just stand by and wait while the senate deliberated? Caesar had to save Roman territory and possibly Rome itself. There was no time to wait.

Get it? :)

The reality is that Caesar was a propagandist. With Ciciero now on his side along with Pompey he was undisputed. The man got away with an illegal war and conquest. Taking 3 more legions and raising two more, which were not even picked from Roman citizens from a territory Caesar wanted to grant citizenship to :lol: was small game.

Edited by Divi Filius