UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Augustus DVD

Primus Pilus

I was browsing around amazon and stumbled across this DVD.

Augustus DVD

Not only have I not seen it, I've never even heard of it. It's seems to be favorably compared to the I Claudius production of days gone by and stars the always respectable Peter O'Toole. Has anyone here seen it?

I have it - bought cheap.

I have seen about half of it. I have not bothered to go back for more.

Acting wasn't bad. But the story is told in flashbacks and is disconnected. I would rate it on a par with - and rather consider it a companion piece to - the Jeremy Sisto "Julius Caesar".

Production qualities are not bad, but the plotting/editing are very confused. In style it reminded me of the HBO "ROME", but without the detail, clarity of narrative, or drive.

I would categorically assert that it is no match - nor anywhere near - the quality of the Jacobi "I Claudius", notr even of the recently re-released "The Caesars" from the 1960s of which I have already posted a review.

Just my opinions, of course,

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to watching the rest of this dvd.

On the whole, worth buying if you see it cheap, and for the production qualities. The Forum Romanum site is not quite right, especially the exterior of the Curia, but we get to see the rostra, which is properly used, the temples of Caesar, Vesta and Castor and Pollux (not in quite the right position) and the basilica Aemilia.

The interior of the Curia reproduces the actual (later) floor and layout, even including the famous statue of Victory, but to me is to lavish and baroque to be right for the period in question.

The exterior of Augustus's house, complete with laurel wreath, looks convincing. The domestic interiors are very believable.

The plot, which as I said before is somewhat confused - many flashbacks (I don't know what a viewer with no historical background would make of it) - centres on Augustus' relationship with his daughter Julia, her involvement with Iullus Antonius and her banishment. it ends with Augustus' death.

O'Toole has a few moments when he touches brilliance, but for the most part wanders through the film (as he does so often) looking aristocratic, pale, emaciated, ethereal, and corpselike all at once, and just letting his voice and screen presence do the work. Sometimes you cringe, sometimes you think why cannot he reach the heights more often.

Charlotte Rampling is the best Livia I have seen - in terms of history (Sian Phillips' acting is incomparable in "I Claudius", but she was supposed to be a monster, not the real Livia). rampling suggests a calculating coldness, underwritten by deep affection for Augustus, and ambition for her son. She is creepy and dangerous, but believeable and less lethal than normal.

We see Agrippa (good but not strong enough); and a very camp Maecenas, who has the right political insight, but disaappears in a way that is (to me) unhistorical. A wasted opportunity as much of the film is about plots and Maecenas could easily have been woven in.

Antonius is alright - less starry, perhaps more historical than is often the case - but I'll be interested to hear what others think of this Cleopatra compared to the way she was depicted in HBO's ROME. We see this one in Rome with Caesar, and in Alexandria.

Actium is a matte-shot of some ships and Antonius in the prow of a galley (alone) with a voice over - frankly dreadful. There is one land battle - Augustus serving under Caesar in Spain - which has had resources put into it, but doesn't work for me.

I cannot make my mind up about the actor playing the younger Augustus/Octavian.

All in all, an OK addition to the collection and I'm glad i have seen it, but I doubt I'll go back to it as much as I will to the mackie "The Caesars" from the 60s, which has also recently been released. (See separate thread).

Augustus appears to have been made in North Africa, and to have a heavily european cast - much dubbing. As with many of these international co-productions, I have the impression that the designers and researchers do a fantastic job, but are let down by sub-standard/uninspired direction; poor acting and bland scripts. It is clear that the design has had a lot of effort put into it. pity that was not copied by other departments.

Phil

• 1 year later...

I own a copy of this (yes, I got it cheap :( ). Found it fairly enjoyable. Peter O'Toole does a nice job in the lead. The scenery, costumes, etc., all looked pretty good I thought, although I'm an untrained eye. If you've exhausted your arsenal of Roman films, give it a whirl.

I saw this DVD in my public library awhile back, but I hadn't gotten around to viewing it. Although I heard that the movie didn't get the greatest reviews, I agree with sentiments expressed here that Peter O'Toole could make practically anything worth viewing. Now that this thread has reminded me again of this movie, I may check it out this weekend!

phil25, thanks for the overview of the movie. I'd also like to get The Augusta's take on Charlotte Rampling's portrayal of Livia.

-- Nephele

I'd also like to get The Augusta's take on Charlotte Rampling's portrayal of Livia.

-- Nephele

Totally forgettable. But then, I've never been a Rampling fan. She did attempt to give the character some gravitas, but it merely blended in with the rest of this horrendous mess. To be honest, even O'Toole doesn't save this film from disaster. It is quite simply appalling in every way - and I have given it two full goes, but still can't find a good word....

Don't waste your time, Nephele - I say that as a friend.

Edited by The Augusta

• 3 weeks later...

Its pretty obvious that O'Toole did this simply for the paycheck. His acting is uninspired and 'by numbers' and at times he seems to be taking the piss! (See his response to the news of Agrippa's death!).

Its pretty obvious that O'Toole did this simply for the paycheck. His acting is uninspired and 'by numbers' and at times he seems to be taking the piss! (See his response to the news of Agrippa's death!).

Hehe - yes - it did seem to be the Shakespearean equivalent of 'Oh - the man I most love in all the world is dead!'

Thing is - it made me think of Lear - don't know why. And a very overplayed Lear - a la Olivier.

Lear?

Why would it make you think of a jet aeroplane?

Only kidding I'm not that stupid.

The family values exhibited in this film seem very modern and (italian) Catholic. I know its virtually impossible to undo two millenia of intense Judeo-Christian influence to show attitudes prevalant at the time but they could have tried to go a little deeper than the one dimensional soap opera type relationships that they accepted for their finished product.

BTW. In THE GODFATHER Brando, when told of the murder of his eldest son, Sonny, seems to deflate with grief. An almost imperceptible exhaling of breath that speaks volumes. Its so understated yet it works so much more profoundly than O'Toole's immitation of a blow up doll being punctured.

O'Toole is too canny an actor not to know that tricks, he's a past master of the art, which makes me believe his carelessness and overacting are his symbolic ways of expressing his contempt for the project.

His performance screams 'I am doing as little as possible because i am here for the money'.

Edited by spittle

Totally forgettable. But then, I've never been a Rampling fan. She did attempt to give the character some gravitas, but it merely blended in with the rest of this horrendous mess. To be honest, even O'Toole doesn't save this film from disaster. It is quite simply appalling in every way - and I have given it two full goes, but still can't find a good word....

Don't waste your time, Nephele - I say that as a friend.

Salve, Amici and Ladies.

I dare to concur.

Besides, the story is completely unhistorical; pure unashamed flattery for Augustus (and Caesar, BTW).

The Hero is all candidness and naiveness (!?!).

• 3 weeks later...
BTW. In THE GODFATHER Brando, when told of the murder of his eldest son, Sonny, seems to deflate with grief. An almost imperceptible exhaling of breath that speaks volumes. Its so understated yet it works so much more profoundly than O'Toole's immitation of a blow up doll being punctured.

O'Toole is too canny an actor not to know that tricks, he's a past master of the art, which makes me believe his carelessness and overacting are his symbolic ways of expressing his contempt for the project.

His performance screams 'I am doing as little as possible because i am here for the money'.

Forgive me, Spittle, but when I see Brando hailed as some example of great acting, I really know just how bad this Augustus movie was!!!!! Bring it on if you want to argue the point. :ph34r: But then, I'm in a really irritable mood - I've just finally given up on the Tudors after 3 episodes of total bloody drivel!

Nice observation. IMO, Brando gave a good performance as Don Corleone, and I'd even argue that Brando gave the best performance of that thug Antony--until Purefoy's almost perfect performance.

• 3 months later...

Don't bother! It's the same old HollyRome-Shakspear romanced version of ancient Rome. I don't believe it was historically accurate, though maybe parts. I felt the acting of O'Toole was pained and I felt sorry for him. He was much better in Troy.

1/2 * out 10

Titus