UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Divi Filius

Florentine Writers Of The Renaissance... Whos Your Favorite?

For my nothing beats the cynical but genius works of Machiavelli. My blood started pumping when reading "The Prince". Almost everything in it was quotable. It embodies almost all the principles which brought about the rise of great men and shows the faults which brought about their fall.

Edited by Divi Filius

Mine is most likely Dante Alighieri, the author of "la Divina Commedia", as another great, Giovanni Boccaccio, put it. The Divine Comedy is particularly interesting, although i have yet to read it in depth (to my shame).

Dante tells of a journey in Holy Week, 1300, throughout the realms of the dead. He is guided through Hell (The first “cantiche” of the Divine Comedy, known as Inferno) and Purgatory (The second “cantiche”, Purgatorio) by the great poet, Virgil. He then embarks into Paradise (The third “cantiche”, Paradiso), guided by Dante's ideal of a perfect woman, named Beatrice, apparently a real woman he met in Florence. The entire journey is fraught with obstacles and amazing and terrible sights. The poem is truly epic, and even the merest flick-through of it is rather addictive.

Edited by Tobias

But doesn't the Renaissance 'officially' start more in the 1400s? I would place Dante, Boccaccio and Petrarca just before it...leading up to the period, yes, but not in the same period.

Come now sir, let us not be pedantic; they still wrote great works, and they were working towards the enlightenment. Also, many of their works are very well known (Dante's Divine Comedy to name but one), and are generally looked upon as being part of the renaissance.

Come now sir, let us not be pedantic; they still wrote great works, and they were working towards the enlightenment. Also, many of their works are very well known (Dante's Divine Comedy to name but one), and are generally looked upon as being part of the renaissance.

Um...femina sum :rolleyes:

And I'm just looking at it from a literary standpoint. Those literary types get picky with movements, and since many of those types have been my professors, I just followed their line of thinking. No question that 'The Big Three' influenced writers for hundreds of years to come...and continue to do so today.

Pico dela Mirandolla for the great interpretation of Platon's dialogue "The Banquet". I liked him more then I liked Platon.

And I have a book about renaissance where the author defines the renaissance as the time between the beginning of the XIV century and 1620.