UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
suzhannah

Augustus Ideaology

hi

what do you think augustus was trying to convey with his use of ideaology on any of his buildings or monuments?

I think this recent work (and TV prog , if you can get it ) are very good on the "official branding" of "Product Rome" as an exercise in political and economic propoganda, and as a tool in the expansion and assimilation of other cultures.The practical work of Agrippa is emphasised as propoganda on a manifestly vast scale, perhaps Brunel might be likened to him in some ways in the context of his Imperial British activities.

You will note that the authour does not make the usual contemporary hash of comparing the USA to Rome.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...7926758-5191654

and as my learned friend Pantagathus says, to make it known that the Imperium wanted "respect from yo a**" as I understand the American vernacular to be.

Edited by Pertinax

Pertinax

THANKS A MIL,

good answer, was all about spin wasnt it anyway.

suzhannah

Augustus had several aims, as i see it.

There is the pre-Actium Octavian (murderous, partisan, ruthless, young) and the post-Actium Augustus (father of his country, unifier, kind protector and farseeing ruler) - and he has to make a transition between the two.

There is a republic to be transformed to a dictatorship by sleight of hand (obfuscation, avoidance of asscoiation with Dictator caesar and his ideas).

There is an Italy to be united (tota Italia) against a foreign enemy.

There is glory, auctoritas, dignitas, reverence to the gods and success - not to mention longevity - to be proclaimed.

There is, as the reign extends into old age, the image of the ever youthful and renewing god-king to be transmitted to the people - hence no "old" images of the princeps.

I think key images might be - the Forum of Augustus and the temple of Mars Ultor (the Avenger) - proclamation of devotion of his father and a deified figure. Patronage and beautification of rome. Reverence of roman tradition - the sceme of the Forum is of great genrerals and statesmen from Romulus and Aeneas onwards. Augustus is the heir and culmination of this process.

The Prima Porta statue - triumph, restoration, godlike status (the statue is barefoot) - perhaps even after death.

The tomb of Augustus - which I see as inspied by Egypt - the entry was flanked by obelisks, the profile is pyramidal.

The Apollo complex on the Palatine - adjacent to his dwelling - devotion, learning, divine benediction and guidance.

One could go on.

Phil

hi phil

and please feel free to go on phil,

great ideas and eloquently put,

thanks a mil

I think the short answer you are looking for is auctoritas.

What unites the figure of a ruthless warlord of the late Republic with the benevolent father of a new Empire? Auctoritas, a social standing and spiritual authority Augustus earned by restoring order and prosperity to a chaotic Rome. The Princeps dare not proclaim himself King after Caesar

I think the short answer you are looking for is auctoritas.

whilst this is certainly true one should not overlook the monastic and indeed dynastic elements to augustus' physical propaganda. Within the Forum Augusti for example whilst the imagery of aeneas and romulus does, to an extent convey a basis of Augustus' auctoritas it is far an open signal of power, like these two former kings augustus possesses great virtues to rule.

also, the mausoleum ot tummulus julium was quite simply a massive display of power desinged to eclipse all other monuments.

so whilst augustan ideology on physical monuments is in part a reflection of the auctoritas basis which so many scholars emphasise one should overemphasise this. After all, while auctoritas is mentioned in the Res Gestae at the expense of imperium (in general) Augustus actully celebrated 29 months worth of victory games and celebration for victories won by his imperium. thus, the monuments are part of a living environment, which the observer effectively interacts with and whilst to use these images might convey auctoritas to a roman particpant the other themese of personal power, imperium and personal glory might come through much more than we would think. (cf. Elsner Cult and sculpture in the Ara Pacis JRS 81 1991