UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Is Your Favorite Era Of Roman History?

Ursus

What is your favorite era of Roman history?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite era of Roman history?

• Regal Period
    • Early- Middle Republic
    • Late Republic
    • The Principate
    • The Dominate
    • The Byzantine era
    • other

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for Late Republic although to be fair I go from middle to Late Republic. I have passing interest in the Julio-Claudians but hen no interest until we get to Septimius Severus and then its all fascinating until the fall of Rome.

So I guess I like the end of the beginning and the beginning of the end (anyone who has started to talk in paradoxes is proabably working too hard!)

Edited by sullafelix

I voted late republic though the following 200 years were als fascinating. I find the late republic embodies the Roman virtues ( the vices are always there) There is strong patriotism and sense of Rome that was gradually lost over the following centuries. Somehow the Byzantine era for me is not Roman. It has Roman connections but then so did most of Europe - but Rome itself had disintegrated - and Byzantine for me has a sad feeling about it - Roman in name only

The politics of the Byzantines are engaging, and the personalities fascinating. The artwork at times enchanting. But all those ridiculous Christological arguments! You're right, it doesn't feel like the good old Pagan Rome.

Nonetheless I'll be reviewing a Byzantine book shortly, and I'm happy to see the site's interest in the Imperial and Byzantine periods is nearly as strong as the Republic.

I somewhat agree with you and Ginnis. The politics of the byzantines was indeed both fascinating and and engaging. Even though it may have not felt like the pagan Rome, but to me the values and culture of the Byzantine empire from 395AD to 527AD during the reign of Emperor Justinianstarted to change.

The reign of Justinian was defintely interesting because in my mind it marked the final end of the Roman empire, and the establishment of the new Byzantine empire.

But even though Emperor Justinian was committed to the idea of a Roman empire, Justinian did recognized that his realms were basically Greek and that the imperial administration would be more effective. Once the government stopped forcing the use of the Latin language and Roman institutions upon its people, the Eastern empire rapidly became more Byzantine in its customs and outlook

The politics of the Byzantines are engaging, and the personalities fascinating. The artwork at times enchanting. But all those ridiculous Christological arguments! You're right, it doesn't feel like the good old Pagan Rome.

Nonetheless I'll be reviewing a Byzantine book shortly, and I'm happy to see the site's interest in the Imperial and Byzantine periods is nearly as strong as the Republic.

I went for the principiate - but actually the late republic is almost inseparable from it. One cannot underastand the former without the latter.

An interesting poll. I may shed quite a bit of light on this site and its users.

Phil

i totally agree, its a close call but the the principiate takes it by a whisker!!

As a newcomer to this site I find myself surrounded by people who have fantastic knowledge of Rome. Mine is not up there - I just have a greatlove of it for some reason. I voted in this poll for late Republic because the late Repulblic and next 200 years were when Rome was at the height of her power but to be completely honest the terms used are new to me I gather principate and dominate are around the times 0-200 and then 200 - 40? Is that correct?

• 2 weeks later...
"The Caesar Era" my favorite of all.

The "Caesar Era"? No offense to you Roman, or anyone else who worships the man but I must say... since my time here, I have been quickly falling into the school of thought and interpretation of Caesar as portrayed by our forum member Cato.

The "Caesar Era"? No offense to you Roman, or anyone else who worships the man but I must say... since my time here, I have been quickly falling into the school of thought and interpretation of Caesar as portrayed by our forum member Cato.

I'm sorry that your falling into the wrong school, the Dark ages school of pure hatred for Caesar. Caesar owned the late republic era, he left his mark all over it. "Caesar era", sounds pretty good to me.

Edited by tflex

I'm sorry that your falling into the wrong school, the Dark ages school of pure hatred for Caesar. Caesar owned the late republic era, he left his mark all over it. "Caesar era", sounds pretty good to me.

I don't hate him... but I don't worship him. Also, where does the school of the 'Dark Ages' say you must hate Caesar? He accomplished a lot in his life, no doubt, I just choose to believe that he was human and therefore had faults and did not do everything that was 'right' and 'for the republic', but instead did them 'for himself'. Is that so wrong to beleive? Also there were far more people than just him who were part of the Late Republic, hence my issue with it being called, "His Era". Caesar may have "pwned" them in the end, but had it not been for men like Crassus and Pompey he would never have even gotten a chance.

Just because I don't kiss the mans' statue suddenly my school of thought is wrong? Hate to say, but we're all right and we're all wrong in the end.

Edited by Neos Dionysos

I don't hate him... but I don't worship him. Also, where does the school of the 'Dark Ages' say you must hate Caesar? He accomplished a lot in his life, no doubt, I just choose to believe that he was human and therefore had faults and did not do everything that was 'right' and 'for the republic', but instead did them 'for himself'. Is that so wrong to beleive? Also there were far more people than just him who were part of the Late Republic, hence my issue with it being called, "His Era". Caesar may have "pwned" them in the end, but had it not been for men like Crassus and Pompey he would never have even gotten a chance.

Just because I don't kiss the mans' statue suddenly my school of thought is wrong? Hate to say, but we're all right and we're all wrong in the end.

Well, you said you subscribed to the school of thought and interpretation portrayed by Cato. If I go back and look at Cato's posts, there is a good amount of hatred for the man that tends to cloud a clear judgement. If you check a few old threads, you will find that school of thought, does not recognize Caesar as even a 'good' military general. Anyways, reading your post above, I can already see a big difference between your school of thought and Cato's.

Edited by tflex

People are allowed to their opinions. If someone's favorite era is the "Caesar era", that's fine. If someone's favorite era isn't the Caesar period, that's fine too. But we're not going to to have a rehash of the tired arguments on this particular thread. You all dig it?

People are allowed to their opinions. If someone's favorite era is the "Caesar era", that's fine. If someone's favorite era isn't the Caesar period, that's fine too. But we're not going to to have a rehash of the tired arguments on this particular thread. You all dig it?

The Cato v JC topic is tired? Now why would you say something like that? :lol:

BeatDeadHorse.gif