UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

An Etruscan Brief

• 1 month later...
I think the cracking of the Etruscan Language enigma would be the biggest windfall since the Rosetta Stone....

It's so frustrating that there are so many unknowns.

Hi

But Etruscan language is not unknow...we are able to read it; only Etruscan don't write much...

and we have a rosetta-like thing for Etruscan and it is the Mummy of Zagabria.

It's interesting that the biggest etruscan script is on the cloth in which a mummy of a etruscan woman was wrapped. The cloth is 13,75 m long, I think, and it's kept in Zagreb.

Very mystical.

Yes zagreb...i have called it in Italian, Zagabria, sorry.

Etruscan language is used to celebrate rites and not for history, but appear on manufactures goods.

These writings are simple and generally means "I am make by..." or "I belong to..."

On the origin of Etruscan language i have heard rumors(but i'm working on medieval) that its link with anatolian ones are confirmed by some lingustics

I think the cracking of the Etruscan Language enigma would be the biggest windfall since the Rosetta Stone....

It's so frustrating that there are so many unknowns.

It might be outdated by now, but Zacharie Mayani worked on the subject in "The Etruscans Begin to Speak". Dealing with quack linguistics all the time, I can at least vouch that it does have a sound methodology and works within general accepted historical/comparative linguistics. He traces the language to the Ilyrio-Thracian family of IE, of which Messapian and Albanian are other languages (the former extinct, the latter now highly derived). I think it's a compelling case. I continually see a problem with people unaware of the work, having been written in French in middle of last century, but it is available in English. I might scan some of it sometime or even discuss it on my blog/forum or here.

By the way, the Etruscans weren't peregrini according to Roman standards, were they?

Rome give citezenship to all italian peoples at the end of Social wars figthed between 91 and 88 BC

Onestly i don't know exactly what cities fight alongside Rome.

The last Etruscan opposition to Rome is during the civil war between Octavianus and Antonius but ended with the siege of their last stand supporter of Antonius in the civil war; this city should be Cortona or Orvieto i don't rimember exactly.

and on language i should remember also the so called "Tabula cortoniensis" a table inscripted with etruscna alphabet