UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Princeps

Your Favourite Roman God

If I can't mention the God of the Jesus movement, I would give my vote to this "pre-ED drug" god:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/topic/11746-priapus-a-shocking-look-at-the-past/

Sorry, but I'm half-Italian. :rolleyes:

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

Sterculinus the god of manure spreading, and Rogiba the goddess of grain mildew. In all seriousness though I think there's a number of gods and goddesses I'm interested in, I like for instance, Bacchus, Mars Ultor (mostly because of his impressive statue at the Musei Capitolini in Rome), Minerva, Juno, Apollo, and of course Jupiter (in all of his incarnations).

I'm also interested in the Celtic gods, such as Taranis the thunderer, Belinus, Epona.

I think the Romans had a favourite God for every occasion or need, depending on popularity, region or occupation.

That's the user benefit in the polytheistic religion/ culture.

So let's check for starters my state of mind.

God

I like Fufluns (fertility, growth, wine, happiness and freedom), adopted from the Etruscians and replaced by aspects of Faunus, Ianus, Bacchus and Liber, the most.

Even named my cat after him: Fuf.

But, since my birthday is almost at same date as the annual Liberalia Festival, I should go for Liber (in vino veritas, veritas vos liberabit).

Godess

The female antipole also from Etruscian orgine was Menvra (war, education, trade, skills/crafts and wisdom) who gave her name to Minerva who took over the qualities of Athena in the roman era.

Because Minerva is told to wove the clothes and sails for the gods with the help of the Three Graces, I can include them too. So I didn't forget a womans charm!

PS. For giving points to earlier contribution: Janus for looking back (learn) and forward (improve and plan your acts)!

I use him as an introduction in paper presentations about PDCA-cycle.

Jeroen H de Lange,

Amsterdam

Edited by Auris Arrectibus

PS. For giving points to earlier contribution: Janus for looking back (learn) and forward (improve and plan your acts)!

I use him as an introduction in paper presentations about PDCA-cycle.

Very nice idea!

I think I would probably curry favour with Vesta.

Oh, Lord, no! :hammer:

Now let us consider the lessons of the judgement of Paris. The problem with picking just one God or Goddess is that you please one - and annoy all the others.

I'll argue that to get the full benefit of polytheism, one has to choose a deity according to the situation - just as you don't call a plumber when your car breaks down. So I'll go with Sterculinus for manure spreading, but Mercury when I'm checking over a contract.

And at some other times, it's got to be Aphrodite ....

That would be the divine Vesta Curry of Florida USA (1875 - 1961), wife of Amos L. Curry?

(Thanks to ancestry.com)

That would be the divine Vesta Curry of Florida USA (1875 - 1961), wife of Amos L. Curry?

(Thanks to ancestry.com)

Good choice, but no - a famous UK producer of instant curries, risottos and chow mein. Cheap, nasty and totally scrumptious!

Edited by Northern Neil

You just can't make that kind of stuff up.

Now let us consider the lessons of the judgement of Paris. The problem with picking just one God or Goddess is that you please one - and annoy all the others.

I'll argue that to get the full benefit of polytheism, one has to choose a deity according to the situation - just as you don't call a plumber when your car breaks down. So I'll go with Sterculinus for manure spreading, but Mercury when I'm checking over a contract.

I second that!

http://www.unrv.com/forum/topic/3803-your-favourite-roman-god/page__view__findpost__p__115475

Jeroen H de Lange,

Amsterdam

That's a lesson you learn the hardway in the Caesar III videogame. You had to curry the favour of the gods by building temples and shrines to them, which tended to be expensive. Build one to Ceres and Neptune would sulk and sink your ships, build one to Neptune and Hades would sulk and so on...

On another note, here's "Sterculinus" in pop culture- Beavis and Butthead

Edited by DecimusCaesar

I'd have to go for Fortuna, Goddess of luck....

I have to claim 'Her', too. [Note my "handle"]

In fact, I wear an Hadriatic coin with Fortuna AVG[usta] on the reverse.

Sulla [and long after, Napoleon] were on to something when they observed that 'luck' follows some of us like an undeserved benefit from the Gods. Not quite right...

For myself, I believe we make our own 'luck' by living in the context of understanding how This Existence actually works. 'Luck'... 'Fortuna's Favor'... They are nothing more than preparing oneself for opportunity. Dumb behavior is not rewarded. Smart behavior is rewarded. It's Her Law.

Ominously, She was also the Goddess of Bad Fortune, too.

- Michele Stefano Arancio

I'm new here and don't want to start anything or break rules, but why are monotheists posting in this board? Isn't there a board for monotheists? Anywho to answer the question:

God: Mars without a doubt

Goddess: Vesta

I'm new here and don't want to start anything or break rules, but why are monotheists posting in this board? Isn't there a board for monotheists?

It's a fair question. I certainly won't comment on the religious views of the other contributors, but I'm not even religious enough to be an atheist. However, you can't help but be interested in the pantheon that were believed to exist by the Romans, and they all have very fascinating characteristics, so it's easy to have a favourite. To put it another way, you may say your favourite Fictional Detective was Sherlock Holmes or Columbo, but you know they're fictional.

And the monotheism board is mainly aimed at discussiuon about montheism, rather than a place for Muslims/Jews/Christians et al to chat with one another.

Edited by GhostOfClayton