UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Britain And The Roman Navy

Pertinax

I have got hold of a copy of this recent work at the Ribchester museum

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...9931322-1950335

as the authour says this is a topic which has been only narrowly explored, I am part way into the text, and it is a most helpful addittion to the understanding of the strategic activities of the Claudian invasion. One assumes conqeust by Legion with some supply backup work and a little amphibious sortie in certain areas , this is not the case it transpires.

More to follow when I have completed the text.

note: the only rather deflating topic is that it appears to be Boulogne that was the HQ for the Classis!

Edited by Viggen

Why is that deflating Pertinax?

Strategically, I would assume that the imperial authorities would always keep the fleet HQ in "their" side of the Channel, to avoid it being "cut off".

Is not the Roman navy also connected to Allectus and Carausius much later?

Phil

I was speaking only with a "Great British " hat on, I dont think we have any evidence that the province was taken out of its "theatre" context at any time (by Rome itself), especially not in the context of the Imperium Gallorum and the potential threat of a "sufficient body" of motivated men to make a bid for Rome.Though interestingly the commander of the classis had the best paid fleet posting for his equivalent rank in the whole Empire.

Edited by Pertinax

One assumes conqeust by Legion with some supply backup work and a little amphibious sortie in certain areas , this is not the case it transpires.

You have me curious now... what does the author suggest happened? While some of the details of the landing (ie exact location, nature of its resistance, etc.) may be debatable, I didn't think there was much question over what type and approximate size of the force?

I am not far enough into the text to quote dependably, but, II Adiutrix seem to have been a fully utilised "combined ops" force, striking deep inland and used particularly because they demoralised the Tribes badly. More info when I have read and inwardly digested!

Mons Graupius looks like a d-day landing assault!

Edited by Pertinax

I am not far enough into the text to quote dependably, but, II Adiutrix seem to have been a fully utilised "combined ops" force, striking deep inland and used particularly because they demoralised the Tribes badly. More info when I have read and inwardly digested!

Mons Graupius looks like a d-day landing assault!

Tacitus clearly makes reference to the use of the fleet by Agricola, but I'm terribly intrigued to know what other source material/archaeological evidence the author is relying upon.

I will make the review my top priority.