UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman "grits"

Lost_Warrior

I know the Romans didn't have "corn" as we know it, but I'm sure they had something comparable. Does anyone know of a recipe that can be adapted to regular old grits? My mom bought some and we're not sure of an interesting way to cook it. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Polenta's worth trying. The word is pure Latin; it's just that Romans made their polenta with barley, not with what you transatlantic people call corn! So if you make polenta with your corn, at least the end result is something a Roman might have felt happy with.

When Psyche went down to Hades, on an errand for Venus, she took two (sticky?) handfuls of polenta with her. One to give to Cerberus on the way there, the other to give him on the way back. By that time, Psyche and Cerberus were good friends.

I would have taken a steak for Cerberus. Or six steaks...enough for each head. Don't want them fighting with each other. Unless it was the plan to make them fight with each other so you could sneak by.

Polenta..I've heard of that. Why didn't I think of it?

Polenta's worth trying. The word is pure Latin; it's just that Romans made their polenta with barley, not with what you transatlantic people call corn! So if you make polenta with your corn, at least the end result is something a Roman might have felt happy with.

When Psyche went down to Hades, on an errand for Venus, she took two (sticky?) handfuls of polenta with her. One to give to Cerberus on the way there, the other to give him on the way back. By that time, Psyche and Cerberus were good friends.

Speaking of the Trans-Atlantic rabble, let us conduct an investigation of the English word 'corn':

Corn. Korn, n. [ A. Sax. corn, a word found throughout the Teutonic languages, of same root as L. granum, a seed. Akin to kernal, grain.]

Apologies will be gracefully accepted.

Polenta is nothing but gruel. That is why we of Neapolitan heritage abjure it in favor of macaroni.

Lost_Warrior, be adventuresome!

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Speaking of the Trans-Atlantic rabble, let us conduct an investigation of the English word 'corn':

Corn. Korn, n. [ A. Sax. corn, a word found throughout the Teutonic languages, of same root as L. granum, a seed. Akin to kernal, grain.]

Apologies will be gracefully accepted ...

Oh, yes, I use the word corn too, but I mean wheat. To continue the word history that you began, Europeans in North America, encountering this extremely useful and unfamiliar crop, naturally called it 'Indian corn'. The modern US 'corn' is an abbreviation of that. And quite right too. No need for anyone to apologise!

Polenta is nothing but gruel. That is why we of Neapolitan heritage abjure it in favor of macaroni.

As I've said a couple of times, my mom's family is from N.Italy, and polenta was definitely around...but late. The story goes that when my grandmother's parents came here 100 years ago (to the central coast of California), they couldn't afford to buy polenta, so my great-grandmother had to buy ma