UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ursus

Minerva

Minerva is identified with the Greek goddess Athena. Some scholars suggest Minerva was borrowed early from Greece via the Etruscans. Others suggest Minerva is indigenous to Italy. Whatever the truth, the two deities are similar and became all the more so after Roman religion began assuming Greek flavors.

Minerva is connected with an archaic Latin word meaning

Great post Ursus, I would have went the rest of my life thinking that Minerva was just a band. ;) I just have one question, was Minerva the patron saint of Rome as Athena was to Athens?

You could say the Capitoline Triad of Minerva, Jupiter and Juno were the patron deities of the Roman Republic.

Rameses the Great .No I belive that was the Goddess Roma who was Patron Godess who defended the city of Rome. However in early times Romans saw Roma and Minerva as one entity. It was not till later on did the become separte. Minerva as Goddess of Crafts and Art/Wisdom as Ursus said and Roma as Goddess of the City itself. Check out connection below for more info.

go here to find out more http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/myth/myroma.htm

Edited by AEGYPTUS

Great job Ursus!! :D

What are the differences between Minerva and Athena?

Were the differnt names of Minerva, Minerva Medica for example, considered different dieties from other "Minervas"?

What are the differences between Minerva and Athena?

Like I said above, Minerva wasn't quite the war deity as Athena. Also, as far as I know, Athena didn't have the healing aspect of Minerva Medica.

Were the differnt names of Minerva, Minerva Medica for example, considered different dieties from other "Minervas"?

An epithet merely invokes a particular attribute of a deity. "Medica" would be the healing aspect of Minerva. "Pallas" would be the Greek word for Minerva's status as a maiden. I'm not sure of all the epithets.