UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Boiled Water And Boiled Meat

frankq

In essence because the "fast food joints" were potential trouble spots, given that many of the urban population were unable to cook at home ,if they were able to linger in a "gurgustum" they might develop seditious habits.

Nero only allowed veg and pea soup -you wouldnt want to sit next to someone eating that for too long would you? Tiberius banned bread in the "popinae" . Vespasian (I think) allowed only pulses to be cooked and sold.

So the "tavern/cafe" was a potential flash point for the mob -so make it uncomfortable.

AD may well know a lot more about this topic.

Edited by Pertinax

In essence because the "fast food joints" were potential trouble spots, given that many of the urban population were unable to cook at home ,if they were able to linger in a "gurgustum" they might develop seditious habits.

Nero only allowed veg and pea soup -you wouldnt want to sit next to someone eating that for too long would you? Tiberius banned bread in the "popinae" . Vespasian (I think) allowed only pulses to be cooked and sold.

So the "tavern/cafe" was a potential flash point for the mob -so make it uncomfortable.

AD may well know a lot more about this topic.

Be fair. *Claudius* was in favour of the taverns and cookshops. The Senate (says Suetonius snidely) laughed when he went off into reminiscences about going round the bars when he was a young man.

I must say that I have never honestly understood the problem that Tiberius and others saw. The usual flashpoints (people find these days) are where people drink, not where they eat; and particularly when they drink without eating anything. So why ban the sale of food in such places? I really don't get it.

Denial of comfort? Nero liked to pop out for a jar or two didnt he?

I was going to suggest sheer numbers of hoi-polloi , if many were unable to cook at home and had no gainful work then the bar/fast food "mall" is the likeliest focus of the bored and dissafected.

I must say that I have never honestly understood the problem that Tiberius and others saw. The usual flashpoints (people find these days) are where people drink, not where they eat; and particularly when they drink without eating anything. So why ban the sale of food in such places? I really don't get it.

Ack! Casson covered this in Travel in the Ancient World but I can't remember at the moment what his explanation was... :D

I'll double check when I get a moment and will post here.