UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tobias

Disappearance Of The Tria Nomina

G'day all

As i'm sure most of you know, from the early times of the Roman Republic, most people of Rome had the three names of praenomen, nomen, and cognomen. This was true of most of the nobles and notable figures of the Republic, and the Emperors of the Empire, for much of the history of the Empire.

However, when we reach the run up to the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the advent of the "Byzantine" Empire, Emperors began to have only two names, or even less, and the tria nomina appears to be dying out after Emperor Majorian (Julius Valerius Maiorianus). Mostly, the Valentian and Theodosian Emperors only had two names, i.e. Valens was Fl. Valens, and Theodosius I & II were both Fl. Theodosius. From Marcian onward there is no evidence of any traditional Roman nomenclature. Why did this occur? I'd be interested in some opinions or theories...

Edited by Tobias

Ah yes, that does give me some interesting references. Thanks for that Lacertus!

I'm not sure but Flavius was, in Theodosian age, was no more a name and become a title.

The name come from Flavius Vespasianus, and also Theodoric use Flavius are first name and also some Lombards kings.

perhaps during the last part of IV century we have the losting of two name in provincies?

Yeah, it's pretty obvious to me now that with the steady decline of Roman culture, and the constant barbarian raids, and the eventual fall of the west, it's only natural that such things as the Tria Nomina to begin to die out.

Good Observation...

German population come in provinces and they have only one name, this way take over the three name of Romans.

But i ask now When exactly?

I not Sure but the last Teodosian emperor have three name...Leon I

Yes, i believe we could say that Romulus Augustus was the last of the Emperors with two names (although Julius Nepos did hang around after Romulus Augustus).

Edited by Tobias

I saw a list of bishops in early Frankish kingdoms and they had roman names. Later they changed their names to german ones. I have to chek if the roman names were in the tria nomina form. It will take a while as it was not my book.

For what i remeber the German Frankish Aristocracy enter in Church Bisiness only at the time of >First carolingian before the Churc was Roman people only.

S martin of Tours for Example.

If you are able to know if they have three name this should be interesting

For what i remeber the German Frankish Aristocracy enter in Church Bisiness only at the time of >First carolingian before the Churc was Roman people only.

S martin of Tours for Example.

If you are able to know if they have three name this should be interesting

Uros did you read "Cavalieri e cittadini" by Jean-Claude Maire Vigueur? As far as I know he's professor of "antichit

I have not read the book...and i'm sorry but i don't know this professor, also if i'm studing in Florence.

I have read "Medio evo: caretteri di un et